Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded

Old 12-21-2005, 07:26 PM

Default I\'m not good at poker.

I know this, and it's obvious to anyone who's ever read my posts.

Yet, from what I've read, I'm supposed to post what I think of other people's posted hands? Is this correct?

I mean, I want to do it, but at the same time I feel like an idiot saying what I think to a guy who's got 3500 posts and who plays $10/$20.

Should I only post on lower limit hands, or should I give my opinion on anything, or should I shut up and read and not post at all until I have a better idea of what's going on?

What's the guidelines here?
Old 12-21-2005, 07:29 PM

Default Re: I\'m not good at poker.

Give your thoughts on as many hands as possible. Be sure to do this before reading the other replies. Be sure to be thorough on your analysis, and post not only what you would have done, but why. After, go through the other replies and see how your advice compares to what everyone else has to say. Don't be afraid to point it out if you think someone is wrong, even if they play 10/20 and have 3500 posts. Discussion is everything.
Old 12-21-2005, 07:30 PM

Post away, it's what I do. Don't worry what people think of you. Just listen to all the suggestions and try to learn.
Old 12-21-2005, 07:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Should I only post on lower limit hands, or should I give my opinion on anything, or should I shut up and read and not post at all until I have a better idea of what's going on?

[/ QUOTE ]
reply to anything... don't be shy. if someone thinks you're wrong he'll try to correct you, but maybe he's wrong too.

the only time someone shouldn't respond is in a fairly obvious hand where multiple people have said the same thing. like, "AK on A2249 river - value bet?"

i also wish everyone would ignore who posted the hand when they think about how it was played. like, if someone who everyone considers "good" plays a hand strangely, please don't call it brilliant if you don't think it is. say you don't get it, ask a question about it - maybe it is just retarded play, or maybe you'll learn why the odd play was actually correct.
Old 12-21-2005, 07:31 PM

Post how yo would play the hand, share you thought process, read the responses, and learn. Think about why a guy who plays 10/20 and has 3500 posts is telling this or that line is best.
Old 12-21-2005, 07:37 PM

for the most part i agree with everyone here in that you should post what you think is the correct play, to a certain extent.

what i despise however is when people post clearly bad advice with an authorative sounding tone. if you are not at least fairly confident in your adivce i dont see that it does anyone any service to be reading your thoughts, except perhaps youself.

basically, do post. but if you are yourself uncertain of the correct play at least begin with a quick line stating such.
Old 12-21-2005, 07:38 PM

Ok, thanks. Hall of Shame, here I come!
Old 12-21-2005, 07:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hall of Shame

[/ QUOTE ]
brilliant. each shushusush digest should have a hall of shame for worst advice given during the recent period.
Old 12-21-2005, 07:53 PM

i agree. worst advice should get a poll and an award at the end of every week. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-21-2005, 07:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
but if you are yourself uncertain of the correct play at least begin with a quick line stating such.

[/ QUOTE ]

Personally, I really don't like it when people begin their posts with qualifiers like "I suck at poker, so you probably shouldn't read this."

Just post what you think and why. As long as you don't get overly defensive when people point out why your thinking is flawed, everything is fine. If you still think you are right, just keep making arguments with logic as opposed to insults.