Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 12-04-2005, 03:38 PM

Default Re: PS $27 turbo: Defending blinds

[ QUOTE ]
There must be some raising range-pushing back range-calling range combination that cannot be improved upon: an equilibrium. Knowing this equilibrium and how to exploit situations where we expect our opponents to deviate from that equilibrium would appear to be useful. I'm not sure how to go about finding that equilibrium, though I may give a little trial and error a shot a bit later.

[/ QUOTE ]

eastbay would be the person to ask about this. He's posted about it before, and I think it's pretty easy to find using his SNGPT.
Old 12-04-2005, 04:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, part of the question was really what a typical raising range would be. Maybe you can't answer that for the $27s. Is this one of those things that changes significantly from level to level?

And, in a backwards sort of way, I am wondering what the "right" raising range is. I tend to raise very freely in this situation. Perhaps too freely.

[/ QUOTE ]

In my experience at any level, the range of villian varies significantly player to player.

I think using Eastbay's tool you can find the mathmatical answers to what is correct to push vs what range villian has if you know his range.

The trick is figuring that out and again, I dont know if I ever look at villian there as "typical for a 27 player" or anything like that.
Old 12-04-2005, 04:03 PM

SNGPT does not take into consideration raises that are not all-in.
Old 12-04-2005, 04:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats true but you can vary some things in it to get an idea of what youre looking for. There are other tools as well.

The point Im trying to make is, I think the most important thing is to have an idea of what you think he has, and what you think he might call with.
Old 12-04-2005, 04:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats true but you can vary some things in it to get an idea of what youre looking for. There are other tools as well.

The point Im trying to make is, I think the most important thing is to have an idea of what you think he has, and what you think he might call with.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is along the lines of what Im trying to say here:

link
Old 12-04-2005, 04:52 PM

This is entirely read dependent. Versus some players you need a Tier 1 hand, versus others you need any two random cards.
Old 12-04-2005, 05:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is entirely read dependent. Versus some players you need a Tier 1 hand, versus others you need any two random cards.

[/ QUOTE ]
What do you need against a typical PS $27 turbo player?
Old 12-04-2005, 05:52 PM

Blinds are dead $. Thinking of them as anything other than that forces you into making bad plays.

No standard range, as villians image should be very important in all of these types of decisions. And there's obviously some hands you'd just want to call (AA, KK) ,
Old 12-04-2005, 05:58 PM

It looks like everyone is saying that the players vary a lot, so the question as to what a typical player will do is not helpful. By this stage of the tournament, you should have some idea about how likely the button is to make a play here and have some idea as to how likely he is to raise. This information looks like it would be much more helpful than knowing what a typical player would do here.

If you were the first one to act, it would be a much easier question to answer mathematically.
Old 12-04-2005, 06:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Blinds are dead $. Thinking of them as anything other than that forces you into making bad plays.

[/ QUOTE ]
I only meant to describe the situation with "defending blinds", not imply that anyone had any right to the chips in the blinds.