Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Computer Technical Help

Old 07-03-2005, 10:30 AM

Default Transfering files through a network

I bet I could figure this out if I spent an hour trying, but I bet one of you smart guys could can tell me in 5 min.

Anyway, I want to transfer files from my laptop to my desktop which are both on the same LAN.

How can I do this without using CDRs?

Thanks!

-Craig
Old 07-03-2005, 12:20 PM

Default Re: Transfering files through a network

[ QUOTE ]
I bet I could figure this out if I spent an hour trying, but I bet one of you smart guys could can tell me in 5 min.

Anyway, I want to transfer files from my laptop to my desktop which are both on the same LAN.

How can I do this without using CDRs?

Thanks!

-Craig

[/ QUOTE ]

floppy?

seriously, what OS's are they running?
Old 07-03-2005, 12:40 PM

No, it's about 2 Gigs of files.

Both have XP, one is home one Pro.

-Craig
Old 07-03-2005, 01:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not a windows guy but I'll try to help although I don't think I'm understanding the problem - if both are already on a network, aren't you able to add either's drive under windows explorer (tools/map...) and start transferring? Is this an issue of them not showing up automatically so you're wanting to know how to do it? Or is it that you don't know how to add the laptop to the network?

Mike
Old 07-03-2005, 01:57 PM

Yeah, they're both on the network.

[ QUOTE ]
aren't you able to add either's drive under windows explorer (tools/map...) and start transferring?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I don't know what that means. You're going have to be a little more basic with this noob.

Thanks for the help though.

-Craig
Old 07-03-2005, 04:45 PM

Okay, sorry. With the laptop on the network and from your desktop computer go to "start" then pick "all programs" then "accessories" and you should see "windows explorer" (xp). (alternatively I think you can do "start", "run" and type in "explorer").

Start that then go to the menubar at the top and under "tools" you'll see "map network drive". When it prompts you for a folder, click "browse" and look for your laptop somewhere under "my network places". You'll likely have to click a "+" or two to reach the laptop. When you find it click on the (laptop) drive.

If there are no permission/user complications you should now see your laptop drive showing up on the desktop windows explorer (that you started with). Now you can treat the laptop drive just like it was on your regular desktop computer. A real windows expert could probably describe this better or knows a better way but for now this should do what you want...

Mike
Old 07-03-2005, 04:52 PM

All you have to do is enable file and print sharing on both computers, and make sure both computers are in the same workgroup, open Explore and right-click on the folder you want to share and click Sharing. Then you should be able to see the shared folders in Network Neighborhood or My Network Places depending on your version of Windows.

Set Up File Sharing Guide