Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium-Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-12-2005, 12:59 PM

Default Got min raised and I have the best hand

Here are 2 similar hands in the sense that they are hands where I raised preflop, I got min raised on the flop, I have the best hand, and theres a flush draw.

$1/$2 NL 6 max

#1) I open raise to $8 in the cutoff with KK.. Button calls. He has $200, I have him covered.

Pot $19. Flop K73 with 2 hearts. I have the Kh. I bet $14, he min raises to $28.

If he has a set, Im probably stacking him no mater what I do. If he has the flush draw hes probably going to call a good sized reraise. He has position on me so if I just call, Im going to have to lead the turn so he cant check behind if he has the flush draw. If I flat call, he may bluff off some chips if he has some random junk.

SO do you reraise? If if so , how much?

#2) I open raise to $8 in the cutoff with J9s. Button calls. Different table, different villain. Ive been raising like crazy on this table but he hasnt been fighting back. He has called a couple of my raises. He just lost a big pot with TPTK vs a set and has only $78. I have him covered.

Pot $19. Flop JJ7 with a club draw. I bet $12 and he min raises to $24. Do you put him all in now? Or on the turn?

He so short that I assume you would do it now?
Old 12-12-2005, 01:32 PM

Default Re: Got min raised and I have the best hand

[ QUOTE ]
If he has a set, Im probably stacking him no mater what I do. If he has the flush draw hes probably going to call a good sized reraise.
SO do you reraise? If if so , how much?

Hi iceman,

On the first hand I think you want to get in as much money as possible on the flop - reraise him up to $50-$60 and hopefully that invites a push from him.

If you are in a set over set situation, you don't want him scared by a heart hitting on the turn and him shutting down - if he's on a flush draw, he may fold, but unlikely.

I think this allows you to extract the max from an opponent with a good hand - even if he only had AK it's quite possible he'll convince himself that you're on the flush draw and come along for the ride anyways.

Hand #2, just push it. If he's tilting he'll call with an overpair and if he has a s8 or flush draw it's really the only way to get the money in while you're ahead.
Old 12-12-2005, 01:46 PM

hand 1- I've never done this, but it would be fun to minraise him back. I've always wanted to find an opponent who you could minraise back and forth until your whole stacks are in.

In reality, I would probably reraise him 75% of the time. Call %25 of the time. Considering the flush draw, I hate giving away a free card. But, occasionally, I'm willing to call a certain amount of the time risking the flush draw to build a bigger pot. It would help to know how I thought my opponent would react... will he go broke with just a flush draw?
Old 12-12-2005, 04:09 PM

Hand 2: just push, hes probably steaming and willing to gamble his draws.

Hand 1: I think you gotta reraise him pot and try to get money in if he has a flush draw, no point letting him draw to beat you for free.
Old 12-12-2005, 04:44 PM

Hand 1: I agree with the others, this is a flush draw often enough that you have to put more $$ in now with the nuts. Make it $75 total. If he calls, you can push the turn.

Hand 2: Easy push.
Old 12-12-2005, 05:12 PM

Hand 1, I reraise enough to commit myself to push any turn.

Hand 2, I think is an easy check behind. Hes steaming, drawing to 2 outs most likely (or none) and will push on turn. If you go allin, he cant call with K high, but he can bluff it on turn. Dont take the lead away, flat call.
Old 12-12-2005, 05:25 PM

Frequent problem and good question. Hand #1: PSB re-raise.
Do you fold when the flush makes it on the turn?

Hand #2: With position on the short stack I push the flop with a flush draw on the table. No further decisions to be made.
Old 12-12-2005, 06:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Frequent problem and good question. Hand #1: PSB re-raise.
Do you fold when the flush makes it on the turn?

Hand #2: With position on the short stack I push the flop with a flush draw on the table. No further decisions to be made.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hand #1: A potsized re-raise on the flop commits you to push the turn. The pot's ~$180 and opponent only has ~$110 left. You might even have a redraw to a higher flush (he said he had Kh) plus the FH outs.

mj
Old 12-12-2005, 06:58 PM

I haven't read the other responses.

In Hand 1, A flush card on the turn slows both of you down since neither of you can put the other on a non-flush draw. The board is otherwise drawless. If you like to play dangerously and think he might be testing you, you could call the flop min raise and go for a turn check raise. But if he checks the turn and a heart falls on the river you will hate yourself. I like raising a little less than the pot here - he's not laying down a set, and if he's fishy enough to min-raise, he might flat call with a flush draw. Don't get tricky - I find that min-raisers are usually terrible, and he either has garbage, a flush draw, or a huge hand. The latter two will pay you off and the first one won't put much more money in.

Hand 2 - I think a 7 or low pocket pair will use this min-raise. I'd go ahead and call it and then check raise any turn - who semi-bluffs a flush draw on this board? If he has a bigger jack you're paying it off, he's too short and possibly tilted not to. But you can easily commit him to an awful hand that way, rather than three betting the flop and letting him get off easy.
Old 12-12-2005, 09:52 PM

I reraised to $52 in hand 1 and he folded
I pushed in in hand 2 and he folded.
Blah

Ahnuld..cant check behind in hand 2...he has position