Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium-Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2005, 02:38 PM

Default Idiot thinks he\'s in WSOP, what does it mean?

Ok, let me preface this by saying this is not my standard play in this situation, but the table was afraid of monsters under the bed especially in family pots and i was on a rush, so thats my excuse for my ridiculously bad play. That said, I'm most interested in the flop decision here. Blinds are $3-5, I cover the table and most stacks are short around $200-$300.

I have Q8 in the BB, literally everyone calls. the flop is (edit from QJ9, there was no straight on the board) QJx. I check, guy to my left makes a $15 bet, and 3 callers. I have decent tells on the two solid players who call and they look weak. I raise to $75 (into about a $65 pot).

Ok heres where it gets fun. guy to my left who was the initial bettor starts talking like he has me so figured out, "Why so much?" "Why so much?" (I'm trying not to laugh because it wasn't like I threw $300 into the pot here). Other guy still in the pot is like, "Its like a pot sized raise", first guy keys saying "Why would you be that much?"

He then says ok, and pushes all in for $125 more. If he had just pushed and nothad this speech, I'm insta-mucking, but now I'm confused. What to do here?

Edit: oh, it folded around to me.

oops, second edit.. it wasn't QJ9, because there was no straight on the board.. ti was Q9x.
Old 12-09-2005, 02:41 PM

Default Re: Idiot thinks he\'s in WSOP, what does it mean?

[ QUOTE ]
What to do here?

[/ QUOTE ]

Would fold the flop, Fold to that All-In. Top pair with a mediocre kicker on that board? Cmon....

Edit: I think your ahead less than 15% here. Even if you were ahead the hands he'd do this with still have live cards against you i.e. draws. The hands that you're not of have you nearly drawing dead i.e. sets two pair.

A PSB and 2-3 callers, This is NOT a spot to raise.
Old 12-09-2005, 02:45 PM

sorry, edited the post, there was no straight on the board.. i was a little fuzzy til i re-read my post..
Old 12-09-2005, 02:46 PM

Heh, It's still a fold.
Old 12-09-2005, 02:48 PM

My plan was to check-fold the flop actually, as I didn't want to loose $$ in this dinky pot. And like i said, if he makes this play without talking, i muck it without thinking. (and actually i did muck this).. but this speech just seemed so weak, i'm wondering if i had the odds to call based on his range of what he might do this with.. fwiw I think he may actually have folded out the best hand for me..
Old 12-09-2005, 02:49 PM

I would only need to be ahead of him about 45% of the time for this call to be correct.
Old 12-09-2005, 02:57 PM

you need to be ahead less than that and its still a fold.
Old 12-09-2005, 03:04 PM

First, I did fold, so I don't know what the results were.

Second, I want to make sure that people understand why I'm asking this. This is really a question about what a speech like this means live. Afterwards I thought about it, and this seemed alot like this was a draw that was pissed off i took away his odds, or another weak Q or even a pair of jacks that thinks I am full of [censored]. I think this call was close. What do you think i needed to call here? AQ? Q10? QK? if he had any of these hands does he push here or call? does he make the speech?

Also, no offense but how much live poker do you guys play? because I'm actually more curious about what this kind of speech usually means, even if I should have folded.
Old 12-09-2005, 03:08 PM

In my experience a bad player who talks generally has a hand.

A solid player who talks like this could have anything. He might have other tells but the tells are usually idiosyncratic.
Old 12-09-2005, 04:01 PM

Speeches are often a sign of strength. That, coupled with his push, makes me think he had you crushed.

mj