Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 03-04-2003, 09:28 PM

Default Forum flyfishers, your opinion sought

Idaho lands ESPN fly-fishing contest after being rejected by Montana. The event will be held on the Henrey's Fork of the Snake.

ESPN proposed holding a fly-fishing contest on Missoula area rivers as a qualifing test for its 2003 Great Outdoors Games, a made for TV competion in a variety of outdoor activities which will be held in July in Reno Nev.Montana F&G denied ESPN request to hold it. Now it will be held in Idaho.

I wonder what you guys think of televised fly-fishing contests?

In Montana public input ran 2 to 1 against.
Old 03-04-2003, 09:59 PM

Default Re: Forum flyfishers, your opinion sought

I would much rather watch an exciting solitare tournament anytime.
Old 03-05-2003, 12:12 AM

I don't like the idea. Glad some $ will be coming here though. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I am not really a good barometer though. I am not a hardcore flyfisher or anything, but I'm not the guy off the street. But I just don't get the idea of a flyfishing contest to begin with, let alone televising one. If I had to do a fishing tournament of any kind I think I'd sooner do an Alabama bass tournament where I could have a really fast and loud boat and say "whoooooooeeeeee loooka there" a lot.
Old 03-05-2003, 12:54 AM

I'm all about watching fishing but I think fly fishing isn't really a tournament sport and when I have seen the tourneys on TV I have found them boring.

I hate winter. I can't wait to go fishing.
Old 03-05-2003, 01:45 AM

I saw, by accident, a small segment of a flyfishing tournament. It was in every sense of the word, silly.

-Zeno
Old 03-05-2003, 03:57 PM

I'm totally opposed to it. In my opinion even hiring a guide is unethical, much less exploiting our natural resources for the benefit of the Great Wasteland. Can't really formulate on objective argument. It's just the way I feel.
Old 03-06-2003, 12:52 AM

Default Re: Thanks and the reason why I\'m against the contest

I was afraid of the increased fishing pressure and crowding caused by the national television exposure. Overcrowding has already caused regulation in the state and more looks inevitable. Last week I was at a TU banquet, there were a few fish biologists at my table and they said in some drainages the rivers were being loved to death and that some form of limiting use should be initiated. This is tough for me, I hate crowds and regulation. From a purely selfish position I'm glad that I can still find Quality fishing w/o crowds but it gets harder each year.

While I'm glad Mt turned down the contest I'm sad for the Henrey's Fork, one of my favorite fishing spots. There has been talk of limiting rods on the Fork in the past. This contest can do nothing positive for the river that I can see. Its a shame Idaho didn't look at the potential negative impacts to the fishery and fishing experience before giving approval.