Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events

Old 10-19-2005, 10:15 AM

Default AFC vs NFC

Looks like last years huge edge that the AFC held over the NFC has continued on to this year. That's not a huge surprise, but in the "anything can happen" NFL, some big trends are interesting to follow.

"Power Rankings" usually don't mean much, but here are John Clayton's:

Colts
Broncos
Bengals
Falcons
Buccaneers
Eagles
Cowboys
Steelers
Chargers
Jaguars

In my evaluations below, I'm combining the current performance of these teams, along with how I see their playoff chances:

The Falcons are the top ranked NFC team, and with a banged up Vick, I really wouldn't count on this team making a deep playoff run.

Next up are the Bucs, who are now playing Chris Simms at QB. Trouble.

The Eagles have some big injury problems, but they big game experience.

The Cowboys are the 4th ranked NFC team, and to me don't look any better than a meh team.

Obviously, AFC teams fill the top 3 spots, but more importantly, I think the next 2 AFC teams (Steelers and Chargers) are better than any of the 4 NFC teams mentioned above.

to me, all teams after this - except the Patriots - aren't serious Super Bowl contenders. the Patriots injury situation is sure to get better, and they will have much easier time as their schedule becomes more reasonable.

so that's 10 teams (not counting the Jaguars), and I see 1 NFC team (Eagles) with an ok chance of winning the Super Bowl, with the Falcons belonging in the discussion as well.

On a neutral field, I would take any of the above AFC teams against Dallas or TB (with Chris Simms).
Old 10-31-2005, 03:45 AM

Default Re: AFC vs NFC

The gap might be closing. Whoever survives the NFC East this year will be a hardened team, and I'm picking against the Eagles. Same with the NFC South, and I like Carolina. Is Seattle finally ready to show some desire late in the season? I see a transformation in the NFC, with the resurgence of Dallas and Washington at the core. The AFC "trifecta" of Indy-NE-Pitts should still be playoff hardened enough to produce a clear Super Bowl favorite, this year. But, the gap is closing.
Old 10-31-2005, 08:57 AM

If anything, I think the gap is widening. The NFC East is tough, but Seattle is still Seattle and no team in the NFC South has been all that impressive.
Old 10-31-2005, 10:28 AM

The AFC is 17-18 vs the NFC this year.
Old 10-31-2005, 11:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The AFC is 17-18 vs the NFC this year.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think this is as telling as looking at the best handful of teams in football. Pittsburgh and Indy. New England. Denver. I'd like to say Cincy but they haven't beaten anyone yet. San Diego.

Are the (Falcons/Giants/Seahawks/Bucs/Panthers/whoever) better than any of these teams? Maybe Cincy. But I don't think the others.
Old 10-31-2005, 11:26 AM

All I know is I'm not sold on anyone yet. They all have blemishes. The Colts look the best, but they have played absolutely no one except Jacksonville, who they were life and death against at home. 17-18 isn't irrelevant, though right now it obviously doesn't mean a ton either. I do think the forum is severely underrating Atlanta and Carolina.