Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Hold'em

Old 12-11-2005, 05:58 PM

Default JTs from MP vs good player 30/60

I'm wondering if you guys would play it the same or pop it on the turn.

Here it is. I'm with J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] I raise. A fish cold call 2. Good player in SB make it 3 bet. I call, fish calls.

Flop

A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Good player bet, I call, Fish calls

Turn

Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Now I have the best hand but the good player is still firing, he probably has a big set atm. I thought for a sec and have gone for the overcall and wait for a same river to pop it. Basically I will get the same or almost and I will be sure I will have the best of it.

What do you guys think ?
Old 12-11-2005, 06:03 PM

Default Re: JTs from MP vs good player 30/60

He could play AK/AQ this way as well. They will often three-bet the turn. Not so the river, esp if a third club falls, or a J/T, or even a Q (if he has AK) or a K (if he has AK). Since that is a fair number of cards, and we have no idea what the fish may do anyway, I'd just raise now, hope to get 3bet a lot so we can cap.
Old 12-11-2005, 06:52 PM

Bad idea, you do have the nuts but you can easily get counterfeited on the river and have to split this pot, a flush card can also hit the river which may stop the villain from betting which also costs you money. Even if a Jack or ten hits the river and you dont have to split the pot, these cards will still dry up your action. So raise the turn right away and hope the villain has a set, and then cap it. Yet another bad thing about waiting to the river is even if a blank hits, the villain still may not reraise you with his set since he will feared you slowplayed the nuts on him. But when you raise the turn, he usually wont fear the nuts just yet. Also with a fish behind you on the turn there is still a decent chance he will call your turn raise, which means more money for you in the long run.
Old 12-11-2005, 08:29 PM

If you raise you also give him the chance to 3-bet when he's behind.

Rob
Old 12-11-2005, 08:36 PM

it's been said, but you really need to give SB a chance to 3-bet his big sets and 2-pair hands. since you didn't cap, and JTs is pretty iffy preflop, a good player will 3-bet at least any set or AK. the upper end of this range might bet/call the river after you cap.