Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-31-2005, 04:30 AM

Default Reno/Vegas Vacation Hands (LONG)

Just yesterday I returned from a week-long vacation where I spent 4 days at the Reno Hilton playing small pre-WPT tournaments, and then 4 days in Vegas doing whatever. Over the course of the week I ran into some interesting hands I'm not sure if I played correctly. I'm posting 6 hands here.

Two of the hands are cash games, but I see no reason to split this post between two forums, so bear with me.

(Side note: anyone else play the tournaments at the Reno Hilton last week? I thought they were terrible. The structure was shallow. Also, the tournaments were $225 cash tournaments w/ an average of 250 players. First place included an entry into the $5,100 main event: this meant that 1st place got approx. 37% of the prizepool + entry = ~50%, second place got 19%. 5th place got about $1000 total: LAME)
------

Hand #1) $225 MTT, 1000 starting chips, blinds 25/25, 10 minutes into tournament.

Hero is BB with t950, dealt T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
9-handed, all are about even in chips.
Action: UTG folds, fold, fold, MP limps, fold, LP limps, button limps, SB checks, Hero raises to t150. MP folds, LP calls, button calls, SB folds

Flop: 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Hero bets t250, MP folds, LP folds, Button raises all-in. Button has the Hero barely covered. Hero calls.

Remark #1: Only seen button play one hand, raised in LP with AKo. There were a huge number of potentially made hands, but even more drawing hands. Is it right to call all-in here this early in the tournament? I felt like I could be beat, but there were also a large number of pushing hands that I’m currently beating.

---------

Hand #2) $225 MTT, 1000 starting chips, blinds 25/50, 30 minutes into tournament

Hero is LP with t1300, dealt K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
8-handed, all are about even in chips except for button who has about t2000.

Action: UTG folds, fold, fold, fold, Hero raises to 225, button calls, SB folds, BB folds

Flop: K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Hero checks, Button checks

Turn: 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Hero bets 250, Button raises to 500, Hero goes all-in for about 800 more.

Remark #2: Button has played a lot of hands for this early in the tournament, with moderate aggression. Was going for a check-raise on the flop, but he didn’t bet it.

---------

Hand #3) $330 MTT, 1200 starting chips, blinds 50/100, 90 minutes into tournament

Hero is in MP with about t2300, dealt A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
10-handed, LMP has about 200 more chips than Hero

Action: Everyone folds to Hero, raises to t350. LMP calls, everyone else folds

Flop: A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Hero bets t500, LMP pushes all-in about t1500 more, Hero calls

Remark #3: LMP seemed like a strong player, somewhat tricky. Felt like he had a strong hand when he pushed, but felt like AQ was too strong to fold in this situation.

-------

Hand #4) *CASH GAME* at the Mirage, $2/$5 blinds, $200-$500 buy-in

Hero is BB with $275, dealt 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
10-handed, most players have Hero covered with $300-$800

Action: UTG folds, fold, fold, MP1 raises to $10, MP2 calls, fold, fold, Button calls, SB folds, Hero calls $5.

Flop: 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Hero bets $30, MP1 folds, MP2 raises to $90, button folds, Hero raises all-in ($175 on top of the $90)

Remark #4: Flopped the baby flush with inside straight flush draw. Aggressor seemed slightly better than average, moderately aggressive. Considered check-raising the flop, but didn’t want to risk a free-card. Did I play this baby flush too hard? The reason for check-raising is that then *I* get to raise a $30 bet to $90 and fold to an all-in if I get the right information. However, in my current situation I was trapped between all-in and folding to the $90 bet, without as much information. Not sure if it’s alright to risk a free card to avoid this, or if I just have to concede my money to a bigger flopped flush if he's got it. I felt like the possibility of someone betting after I check was about 75%

------

Hand #5) Binion’s Horseshoe, $60 Tournament w/ one $40 rebuy, 55 people started in tournament at 2am Sunday Morning

Payouts:
7th: $100
6th: $140
5th: $210
4th: $300
3rd: $550
2nd: $880
1st: $1,240 ($1,450 before $70 saves for 10th-8th agreed)

Blinds: t1000/t2000, t200 antes, 6 people remaining
Time: 7am
Chips in play: (t100,500)

6 people remaining approx. chip counts before blinds
SB: (t25,000) (HERO)
BB: (t6,000)
UTG: (t3,100)
MP: (t50,000)
LP: (t1,500)
CO: (t12,000)

Action: Hero posts BB for t1,000, BB posts t2,000. UTG goes all-in for t3,100 total, fold, fold, fold, Hero pushes all-in blind (no one knows he hasn’t looked at his cards). BB folds.

Remark #5: This was a rather impulsive play, and I have no idea if it was a good idea or not. I’ve been watching the players on my left and have fairly good sense of when they’re going to fold or call/raise. Also, the BB was a naturally tight player anyways, and I didn’t sense strength from him after he looked at his cards. I knew he would call the UTG if I folded, but most likely fold if I go all-in. Is it worth it? UTG could be pushing with anything since he’s about to get eaten by the blinds, so I’m probably not too far behind regardless of what I have. Plus, with my chip position I felt like I was in no hurry to knock people out. Was it worth trying to capture the chips in that pot even if it meant risking tripling up a small stack?

---------

Hand #6) *CASH GAME* at the Bellagio, $2/$5 blinds, $200 straight buy-in

Hero is in LMP w/ $750, dealt J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
9-handed. Player in EMP has $400. I have not seen EMP play a single hand for the 2 hours I’ve been at the table.

Action: UTG limps, UTG+1 raises to $20 (standard raise), EMP calls, MP calls, Hero calls, fold, fold, SB folds, BB folds.

Flop: K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, EMP bets $50, MP folds, Hero folds.

Remark #6: I’m not kidding when I say I haven’t seen this guy play all night. Not one hand. I felt like there was a good chance I was behind him with my J kicker, and if I was behind I didn’t have many outs to improve. I have to admit the fold was rather weak tight, but I was following my gut. Perhaps a raise to $100 or $150, then decide?
------

Any thoughts on these hands???

Eto...
Old 03-31-2005, 07:41 PM

Default Re: Reno/Vegas Vacation Hands (LONG)

[ QUOTE ]

Hand #1) $225 MTT, 1000 starting chips, blinds 25/25, 10 minutes into tournament.

Hero is BB with t950, dealt T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
9-handed, all are about even in chips.
Action: UTG folds, fold, fold, MP limps, fold, LP limps, button limps, SB checks, Hero raises to t150. MP folds, LP calls, button calls, SB folds

Flop: 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Hero bets t250, MP folds, LP folds, Button raises all-in. Button has the Hero barely covered. Hero calls.

Remark #1: Only seen button play one hand, raised in LP with AKo. There were a huge number of potentially made hands, but even more drawing hands. Is it right to call all-in here this early in the tournament? I felt like I could be beat, but there were also a large number of pushing hands that I’m currently beating.

[/ QUOTE ]

He could have twopair, straight, set, top pair + straight draw, a few broadway card flush draws with overcards, etc. Several hands that beat you, and several hands that have a lot of outs. But you're getting good pot odds, it's shallow money, and steep payout. Not sure about this, seems like you should see what pokerstove says. I'd probably call.

[ QUOTE ]

Hand #2) $225 MTT, 1000 starting chips, blinds 25/50, 30 minutes into tournament

Hero is LP with t1300, dealt K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
8-handed, all are about even in chips except for button who has about t2000.

Action: UTG folds, fold, fold, fold, Hero raises to 225, button calls, SB folds, BB folds

Flop: K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Hero checks, Button checks

Turn: 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Hero bets 250, Button raises to 500, Hero goes all-in for about 800 more.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seems like the preflop raise is too much to me. I'd go 150-200. Other than that seems fine. I'd play this depending on how I've played previous hands. For example if I've been very agressive and betting out the flop every time I raise, I might lead out this flop.

[ QUOTE ]

Hand #3) $330 MTT, 1200 starting chips, blinds 50/100, 90 minutes into tournament

Hero is in MP with about t2300, dealt A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
10-handed, LMP has about 200 more chips than Hero

Action: Everyone folds to Hero, raises to t350. LMP calls, everyone else folds

Flop: A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Hero bets t500, LMP pushes all-in about t1500 more, Hero calls

Remark #3: LMP seemed like a strong player, somewhat tricky. Felt like he had a strong hand when he pushed, but felt like AQ was too strong to fold in this situation.

-------

[/ QUOTE ]
He probably doesn't have a flush draw with the Ad out there. Would this guy reraise preflop with AK? Without a read I'd probably call, but I'd be worried.

[ QUOTE ]

Hand #4) *CASH GAME* at the Mirage, $2/$5 blinds, $200-$500 buy-in

Hero is BB with $275, dealt 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
10-handed, most players have Hero covered with $300-$800

Action: UTG folds, fold, fold, MP1 raises to $10, MP2 calls, fold, fold, Button calls, SB folds, Hero calls $5.

Flop: 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Hero bets $30, MP1 folds, MP2 raises to $90, button folds, Hero raises all-in ($175 on top of the $90)

Remark #4: Flopped the baby flush with inside straight flush draw. Aggressor seemed slightly better than average, moderately aggressive. Considered check-raising the flop, but didn’t want to risk a free-card. Did I play this baby flush too hard? The reason for check-raising is that then *I* get to raise a $30 bet to $90 and fold to an all-in if I get the right information. However, in my current situation I was trapped between all-in and folding to the $90 bet, without as much information. Not sure if it’s alright to risk a free card to avoid this, or if I just have to concede my money to a bigger flopped flush if he's got it. I felt like the possibility of someone betting after I check was about 75%

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah you probably get more information if you check-raise. If you were 75% sure someone would bet I'd check-raise. If they check through and a diamond hits, oh well you didn't loose that much.

[ QUOTE ]

Hand #5) Binion’s Horseshoe, $60 Tournament w/ one $40 rebuy, 55 people started in tournament at 2am Sunday Morning

Payouts:
7th: $100
6th: $140
5th: $210
4th: $300
3rd: $550
2nd: $880
1st: $1,240 ($1,450 before $70 saves for 10th-8th agreed)

Blinds: t1000/t2000, t200 antes, 6 people remaining
Time: 7am
Chips in play: (t100,500)

6 people remaining approx. chip counts before blinds
SB: (t25,000) (HERO)
BB: (t6,000)
UTG: (t3,100)
MP: (t50,000)
LP: (t1,500)
CO: (t12,000)

Action: Hero posts BB for t1,000, BB posts t2,000. UTG goes all-in for t3,100 total, fold, fold, fold, Hero pushes all-in blind (no one knows he hasn’t looked at his cards). BB folds.

Remark #5: This was a rather impulsive play, and I have no idea if it was a good idea or not. I’ve been watching the players on my left and have fairly good sense of when they’re going to fold or call/raise. Also, the BB was a naturally tight player anyways, and I didn’t sense strength from him after he looked at his cards. I knew he would call the UTG if I folded, but most likely fold if I go all-in. Is it worth it? UTG could be pushing with anything since he’s about to get eaten by the blinds, so I’m probably not too far behind regardless of what I have. Plus, with my chip position I felt like I was in no hurry to knock people out. Was it worth trying to capture the chips in that pot even if it meant risking tripling up a small stack?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're read on BB is right, I like it. You're getting about 3.5:1. I'd like it more if the payouts were steeper.

[ QUOTE ]

Hand #6) *CASH GAME* at the Bellagio, $2/$5 blinds, $200 straight buy-in

Hero is in LMP w/ $750, dealt J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
9-handed. Player in EMP has $400. I have not seen EMP play a single hand for the 2 hours I’ve been at the table.

Action: UTG limps, UTG+1 raises to $20 (standard raise), EMP calls, MP calls, Hero calls, fold, fold, SB folds, BB folds.

Flop: K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, EMP bets $50, MP folds, Hero folds.

Remark #6: I’m not kidding when I say I haven’t seen this guy play all night. Not one hand. I felt like there was a good chance I was behind him with my J kicker, and if I was behind I didn’t have many outs to improve. I have to admit the fold was rather weak tight, but I was following my gut. Perhaps a raise to $100 or $150, then decide?
------

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't fold quite yet. What do you put him on? If he's that tight, why would he play AT, KT, or QT to an EP raise? I think he's got AK. Would he just flat call with KK? And then lead out with it? Seems kind of strange. I'd raise and see what happens.