Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-24-2005, 03:18 PM

Default Re: Does a Better Player Play This Differently?

Regarding the flop:

I like the raise, and after it comes 3 back to me it seems like an easy cap since sb's along for the ride.

Given the fact that sb cc'd 2.5 pre, he's coming along for 2 with overs a lot of the time which is fine taking 2:1 on the flop with our fd, if he doesn't it might clean up some of our k/q outs.
Old 12-24-2005, 07:52 PM

Default RESULTS

Thanks for all the responses. I called UTG's bet on the river to look at his pocket aces. I think I should have raised the turn regardless, but I've been getting beat up lately and I was pretty sure he had AA. Afterall, I 3-bet preflop, raised and capped the flop, yet he leads again. Would he do that with QQ after the flop action and my preflop action? It's possible, but I doubt it...and I could see getting reraised quite often on the turn if villian has AA (though not 100% obviously).

That said, raising the turn is the play, and it's the play I would normally make...one b/c I could be good (outside IMO), two because I have outs if not and three to possibly eliminate the blind or make him pay through the nose to chase).

As for the flop, I like raising b/c at this point - I can't solidly put UTG on AA yet, I possibly have tons of outs and if I can get the blind out, good, if he comes, good. I'd be interested in more thoughts on all of the above.

Jeff
Old 12-24-2005, 11:37 PM

Default Re: RESULTS

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for all the responses. I called UTG's bet on the river to look at his pocket aces. I think I should have raised the turn regardless, but I've been getting beat up lately and I was pretty sure he had AA. Afterall, I 3-bet preflop, raised and capped the flop, yet he leads again. Would he do that with QQ after the flop action and my preflop action? It's possible, but I doubt it...and I could see getting reraised quite often on the turn if villian has AA (though not 100% obviously).

That said, raising the turn is the play, and it's the play I would normally make...one b/c I could be good (outside IMO), two because I have outs if not and three to possibly eliminate the blind or make him pay through the nose to chase).

As for the flop, I like raising b/c at this point - I can't solidly put UTG on AA yet, I possibly have tons of outs and if I can get the blind out, good, if he comes, good. I'd be interested in more thoughts on all of the above.

Jeff

[/ QUOTE ]
I didnt comment on your flop play becuz I thought it looked fine. I would raise the flop in this spot almost every time, like you said, the UTG's hand is still not defined, and you would prefer the SB to get out of the hand at this point, but if he calls you really dont mind either. Many times you will be raising this flop for value if the UTG has a hand like JJ or below. I also dont think your flop cap is spewing at all, with two people committed you are making money on this cap unless the villain has specificaly AA or KK and even in this situation your flop cap is pretty much a break even play but you will sometimes be able to take a free card on the turn if the villain goes for a checkraise on the turn.

So if the villain has AA or KK your flop cap costs you nothing in the long run but may allow you to see a free river if the villain trys to trap you on the turn. If the villain has QQ,AK,AQ, giving you a 12 outer, then you make money off this cap since you are getting 2-1 on your cap and you are less than a 2-1 underdog. If the villain has JJ or below or a hand like AJs giving you a 15 outer, you make even more money off this flop cap. So your flop line looks fine to me, and I would play it the same way.

I also thought preflop was standard.
Old 12-25-2005, 04:34 PM

Default Re: Does a Better Player Play This Differently?

posting blind.......the flop cap is not optimal....calling the flop 3bet is much better.