Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-12-2005, 10:19 PM

Default Finished SSH....next book should be...?

Good evening all,

I used to be an extremely tight low-limit player and while that approach always slowly but surely made the money, I've read SSH, applied its principles to my game, and the improvement has been tremendous. I cannot speak highly enough about that book.

I just finished SSH and my question to you all is which book should I pick up next? I'm actively trying to improve my game, but still only comfortable/bankrolled enough to play the lower limits (.5/1, or 1/2 if I see a soft enough game). TOP, by all accounts, appears to be the best poker book ever written, but would the advice I find in that book apply to the lower limit games that I currently play? Is there another book I pick up the next time I'm at the mall that would be more beneficial for the stakes that I play.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Old 05-12-2005, 10:28 PM

Default Re: Finished SSH....next book should be...?

Old 05-12-2005, 10:32 PM

I just finished SSH as well, and ordered Theory of Poker and Hold'em For Advanced Players of Amazon today. HEFAP probably wouldnt do you much good at the lower limits though. I got it because I am starting to play 3/6 now, and hope to be moving up to 5/10 in a month or so.
Old 05-12-2005, 10:54 PM

I think that HEFAP has a lot of excellent concepts that apply at all levels. The reponsibility of figuring out when/if to apply certian ideas to microlimit games or players falls on the reader.

In particular, the shorthanded section is a must-read.
Old 05-13-2005, 11:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think that HEFAP has a lot of excellent concepts that apply at all levels. The reponsibility of figuring out when/if to apply certian ideas to microlimit games or players falls on the reader.

In particular, the shorthanded section is a must-read.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just wanted to second this - after you have gone through SSH a few times, hepfap has some great information which is applicable at all levels. I wouldn't worry too much about the starting hands yet, but there are many great lessons to be learned.

Also as others have advocated, keep reading SSH.
Old 05-12-2005, 11:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just finished SSH as well, and ordered Theory of Poker and Hold'em For Advanced Players of Amazon today. HEFAP probably wouldnt do you much good at the lower limits though. I got it because I am starting to play 3/6 now, and hope to be moving up to 5/10 in a month or so.

[/ QUOTE ]

You just finished SSH and you're planing on moving up to 5/10 within the month? You're a much faster learner than I am.
Old 05-13-2005, 12:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You just finished SSH and you're planing on moving up to 5/10 within the month? You're a much faster learner than I am.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am a fairly fast learner. I have read these forums a LOT over the past couple months (I started playing in Jan). Reading SSH, I recognized nearly every general concept in the book from reading/responding to hands in the forum. It was great as it gave me the whole background and explanation, but it wasn't really new. I've played about 20K hands at 2/4, and been chuggin along nicely at 2BB/100. I'm bankrolled for 3/6 (5/10 if I wanted to be) so I figure why not? I can always come down if I'm getting killed.
Old 05-12-2005, 10:51 PM

Assuming "just" finished meant this was your first time through, just play a bit, reread it, then go for Theory of Poker.
Old 05-12-2005, 10:59 PM

Theory of Poker is a great book, but it is NOT like SSHE. There are many more abstract concepts rather than specific "you hold these cards, the board is this, the other players do this..." examples.

Good luck!
Old 05-12-2005, 11:02 PM

MLH by brier and ciaffone will get you comparing and contrasting with SSH, because in general it tends to present situations where they advocate a fold, where as SSH tends to show examples where raising is the play