Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2005, 09:32 PM

Default Two preflop decisions

MP3 is a very loose passive player.

Table is pretty loose postflop as the average pot is about 7.5BB

PokerRoom 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop:

Hero is Button and dealt 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Folded to MP3. MP3 calls. CO folds. Hero ??

Same table nine 9 players this time. MP3 is from first hand is now button.

Preflop:

Hero is SB and dealt 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Folded to MP1. MP1 raises. Folded to button. Button calls. Hero ??

What is the action on each of these hands.

I think I played them both wrong and immediately after clicking the action button I berated myself.

My actions in white:
<font color="white">I called the first hand. Mistake I think becuase I would like 2 players before me in the pot and I really dont want a raise from the blind, fold here.

Hand 2 I folded, At the time though I really think a call here wouldve been better becuase I think MP could open with alot here and button calling doesnt mean a great deal to me. But looking over this, if hand 1 is a fold then hand 2 is probably a fold too</font>
Old 07-18-2005, 10:20 PM

Default Re: Two preflop decisions

I fold both hands without hesitation.
Old 07-18-2005, 10:22 PM

You have little incentive to play in hand 1 as you aren't getting the limpers necessary to make it worthwhile. You have even less incentive in hand 2 for obvious reasons.
Old 07-18-2005, 11:30 PM

Edited to fold: Sorry, I thought you were the BB for some reason. I'd just fold.

The second hand is close, although I'm leaning to a fold. But again that's based on playing tighter tables.

Brad.
Old 07-18-2005, 11:51 PM

first hand is an easy fold for me
second hand is an easy call for me. most likely going to be 4 ways (BB will probably come along) and our hand isn't likely to be dominated- either card is probably clean, which is key. It's suited, connected and we're getting a discounted play...i call this.
Old 07-19-2005, 12:13 AM

1st hand: I fold this - I think you need more than 1 limper to call. The other option is to raise to try and isolate the weak player and outplay him postflop if it is likely the blinds will fold to raise or are weak as well. I prefer this if the weak player will check/call all streets and likely fold to a river bet.

2nd hand: I think a call here has slight -EV UNLESS most players are calling to the river trying to improve regardless of how coordinated the board. I don't think calling here is a big leak though.
Old 07-19-2005, 12:42 AM

I will play the rest of the hand out

PokerRoom 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop:

Hero is Button and dealt 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Folded to MP3. MP3 calls. CO folds. Hero calls. SB Folds. <font color="red">BB raises </font>. MP3/Hero calls

Flop: K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (6.5 CB) 3 players

<font color="red">BB bets, MP3 raises</font>, Hero/BB call

Turn: 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (6.25 BB) 3 players
BB checks<font color="red"> MP3 bets</font>, Hero calls, <font color="red"> BB raises, MP3 3-bets, Hero caps</font> BB/MP3 call

River: 10 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (18.25 BB) 3 players
Checked through

Now the point of this hand isnt how bad I played the flop and the turn, its how a very bad decision preflop can lead to a very expensive hand. As I said in the first post after I clicked call preflop I regretted it immediately. BB showed KK and missed what I assumed was a check raise on the river, MP3 shows Q6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Same table nine 9 players this time.

Preflop:

Hero is SB and dealt 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Folded to MP1. MP1 raises. Folded to button. Button calls. Hero folds. BB folds

Final Board is 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

I wont go over the betting or the rest of the hand becuase its moot at this point. However this is the hand I wanted to call and regretted folding before even seeing the flop. Button took home the pot with his AK and MP1 shows the pocket jacks. I think I made the right decision to fold here even seeing the results. With another caller and if I had a read that BB would call then I think I can call.
Old 07-19-2005, 12:51 AM

this may just be how i go about it, but i would fold both of em. the striaght/flush draws are great for multi-way hands and you have at most 4 ppl in at both tables.

i [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] trees