Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2005, 09:04 PM

Default Re: Sports Card Price Guides

[ QUOTE ]
like many others, had the card sequence for this card.

[/ QUOTE ]

whatya mean card sequence? I would definitly be interested in this b/c maybe it confirms my conspiricy theory with my local baseball card shop when i was younger. THEY ALWAYS HAD THE BEST CARDS and i knew they didnt just open up boxes..

please help me obi won....you are my only hope
Old 05-31-2005, 10:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
And cards are pretty worthless unless they're graded, which none of mine are.

[/ QUOTE ]

Graded, or still in their unopened packaging. (Yes, I always look for a reason to post this pic.) [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

You can get packs and rack packs graded too.
Old 05-31-2005, 10:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
One day I pulled a Kurt Werner Jersey card valued around $600, and a Ron Dayne rookie jersey card valued around $350. Like a dumbass I hold on to them and couldn't get 25$ for both at this point. It's a damn shame.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah you gotta sell these things right away during the hype, hardly anything holds its value these days.
Old 05-31-2005, 10:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

whatya mean card sequence? I would definitly be interested in this b/c maybe it confirms my conspiricy theory with my local baseball card shop when i was younger. THEY ALWAYS HAD THE BEST CARDS and i knew they didnt just open up boxes..

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are gonna buy boxes, buy unopened factory sealed boxes, most everything else has probably been searched.
Old 05-31-2005, 10:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are gonna buy boxes, buy unopened factory sealed boxes, most everything else has probably been searched.

[/ QUOTE ]

i used to buy factory sealed upper deack hockey/baseball but how would you "search" a box...the poster bf noted that he new the "sequence" of the cards so WTF does that mean?

i dont collect, im just an interested party who used to collect as a youngen
Old 05-31-2005, 11:01 PM

I'm not positive if this is what he meant by "sequence" but it could mean pattern.. I know in some boxes if there was a certain top card in the box, it would be like the 3rd pack down on the left side.. this happened with the David Robinson rookies I believe in whatever year Hoops.
Old 05-31-2005, 11:03 PM

I have 2 or 3 of those Jack Morris rookies. Not very good shape though. They used to be worth a little.
Old 06-01-2005, 07:33 PM

My best friend and I were in the card business then and, like many others, had the card sequence for this card.

I always suspected that the cards were not distributed randomly - many packs contained the same 5 out of 10 cards.

What exactly is this?
Old 06-01-2005, 07:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You can get packs and rack packs graded too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I know, I'm waiting for some market competition to drop the prices first. It's a big pricey still to get packs graded. I've heard of some fraudulent packs getting through the grading process too, which sucks.

As for the randomness of packs, most packs in the late 80s that I can remember did have a sequence of cards. They were usually printed on 132 card sheets, and then cut from that. My guess is that the sorting machine would always group certain cut cards together, so there are small runs that would be consistent.

Makes some sense when you think about it - I remember Fleer specifically you could count on buying a box, and getting virtually no duplicate cards.

Upper Deck on the other hand was one of the first companies to randomize the packs somehow. I remember seeing someone open a 1989 pack that had 3 Griffey RC's in it. Of course this meant you had to buy a lot more packs to make a set, since you'd receive a large amount of doubles.

Just a few theories.
Old 06-01-2005, 07:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Upper Deck on the other hand was one of the first companies to randomize the packs somehow. I remember seeing someone open a 1989 pack that had 3 Griffey RC's in it. Of course this meant you had to buy a lot more packs to make a set, since you'd receive a large amount of doubles.

[/ QUOTE ]

Trying to assemble a UD set pack-by-pack = sheer folly. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

One of the big non-random culprits was that '90 Leaf baseball set. Buying single packs at a card show during FrankThomasMania was like setting $14 on fire. I also worked in a shop, and whenever we opened fresh wax, we always shuffled all of the packs...I agree with whoever said - if you're selling packs and have TONS of the key singles in the case, that can be (though not always, of course) a red flag.