Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2005, 12:02 PM

Default so I re-looked at the \"open raising in EP thing\"

The "raise or fold with broadways while opening, even in EP" thing was news to me, for some reason thought that

MP3 hasn't been around too long, I have him pegged as loose passive though for limping QJo UTG and the 27 hands I have on him he has a 50-something VPIP

with my only ~30 or so hands on Button, not to make false assumptions; has a rounders based handle, a ~30% VPIP, and limped 87o on the button previously, and showed near zilch aggression, I have tagged as a "tag wannabe" LP

SB I have seen in both .25/.5 and .5/1 on paradise, hovers around lower 30's VPIP, and 15% or so for PFR. He doesn't seem like a typical maniac, as player here is a thinking one

Paradise Poker 0.25/0.50 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: (9 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 calls, Button calls, SB calls.

Turn: (6.50 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 calls, Button folds, SB folds.

River: (8.50 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 calls.

Final Pot: 10.50 BB
Old 08-03-2005, 12:12 PM

Default Re: so I re-looked at the \"open raising in EP thing\"

I like everything, value betting is [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img].
Old 08-03-2005, 12:13 PM

I don't see anything wrong with the open Raise, if UTG had called I might be more inclined to just limp in as well.

As for the hand, you have top pair, good kicker. Nobody is making hints of a big hand, the flush guys have the odds to call. I'd play it the same way.

I suspect that MP3 has a J in his hand. Lately I've run into alot of people calling down with second or third pair. Especially when the pot was raised pre-flop, figuring you have overcards that didn't hit.
Old 08-03-2005, 12:13 PM

I like it.
Old 08-03-2005, 12:16 PM

I play this the same way.
Old 08-03-2005, 12:19 PM

Nice hand. Value betting bad players to death when you have a good hand is your bread and butter.
Old 08-03-2005, 12:19 PM

Now, didn't you feel much more in control throuought the hand having opened for a raise PF? Like you were dictating how this hand was going down?
Old 08-03-2005, 12:20 PM

I thought SSH says "If in EP limp to encourage multiway action" or something similar.

Looks fine though.
Old 08-03-2005, 12:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The "raise or fold with broadways while opening, even in EP" thing was news to me, for some reason thought that

MP3 hasn't been around too long, I have him pegged as loose passive though for limping QJo UTG and the 27 hands I have on him he has a 50-something VPIP

with my only ~30 or so hands on Button, not to make false assumptions; has a rounders based handle, a ~30% VPIP, and limped 87o on the button previously, and showed near zilch aggression, I have tagged as a "tag wannabe" LP

SB I have seen in both .25/.5 and .5/1 on paradise, hovers around lower 30's VPIP, and 15% or so for PFR. He doesn't seem like a typical maniac, as player here is a thinking one

Paradise Poker 0.25/0.50 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: (9 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 calls, Button calls, SB calls.

Turn: (6.50 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 calls, Button folds, SB folds.

River: (8.50 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 calls.

Final Pot: 10.50 BB

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd like to alter your post a little bit. I know open raising can be a confusing thing, it makes me wonder sometime too as I start doing is a lot more in LP.

To make it a little more interesting, how about if you open raised and caught a flop like this:

Flop: (9 SB) 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (4 players)

Now, how is that going to change your line and why?
Old 08-03-2005, 12:23 PM

Checking and calling doesn't necesarrily make you bad. Neither does checking and folding. Just becasue you opened for a raise PF does not mean you have to lead the flop.