Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-04-2005, 02:20 PM

Default I crush PP, barely break even at other sites...

I've been doing 5-6 BB / 100 at .5/1 and 1/2 at PP for the last 10K or so hands.

So I decide I'll go whore some bonuses at other sites, well guess what, I can't do squat.

In clearing a $100 bonus at Paraides I dropped $40 in play so net +60. I was experiencing just as many PP bad beats but my big hands weren't paying off as much. The play on average was significantly more tight/tricky. I also noticed without live PT my VPIP had snuck up to around 25-27%, much looser than my normal 20%.

Same story at Interpoker (never play this f'ing god awful site, they changed the bonus rules midstream and have to snail mail you a letter to cash out).

Same story at UB (although I've had success here before).

Anyone else have this PP only curse?
Old 07-04-2005, 02:40 PM

Default Re: I crush PP, barely break even at other sites...

You're just on the short end of the variance stick, my friend. There's a reason why the FAQ says anything over 4 BB/100 isn't sustainable. You've almost certainly been running extremely hot on PP, and cold on the other sites. If you played the other sites more, your win rate might actually be higher, since the rake tends to be lower at other sites relative to party.
Old 07-04-2005, 03:00 PM

just amused that the first reply was from a guy with a similiar avatar [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

But, I agree, Variance can do that to a person.
Old 07-05-2005, 12:00 AM

Your jump in VPIP probablly has something to do with the change in results.

It is my opinion that Party .5/1 and Paradise .5/1 "play differently." Perhaps a big part of this is that at Party you have such a great number of tables from which to choose, you can drift toward the most loose-passive or loose-aggressive depending on your taste.

It is also my opinion that there are more junk raisers at Party than many other sites. For example, raise on the flop with AKo. Flop has an A-blank-blank. First player post-flop to act bets into you and raises your raise (you being the pre-flop raiser). On Party it is more likely that guy only has NOTHING or A-worse kicker. It is MORE likely on some other sites that such behavior indicates 2 pair or a set.

There are obvious exceptions to this. A leak like this can just be a few more % hands where you're calling/raising a player who you *should know* holds a better hand. Situations like this are examples of how you can leak bets after being Party-conditioned. At Party you can sometimes (depending on reads) ignore possible sets, etc. At some other sites, you better sniff out a set or 2-pair because you'll get shown that when you thought you were getting donk-bet.

Another factor is that pots on these sites can be less BB than the looser Party tables, so you're not getting the odds to stick around like you used to. When you're seeing the flop heads-up your drawing hand can cost you a lot of BB when you call down a passive player betting into you with top pair.

Anyway...IMHO trim that VPIP so you don't leak by losing with A-rag, calling down small pots with overcards, etc.
Old 07-05-2005, 12:28 AM

My cat's breath smells like cat food.
Old 07-05-2005, 12:44 AM

I can attest to UB. It's a different type of game, much tighter. Even as I move up levels at UB it takes a week to adjust to the new game.

However, that being said, I believe the new series with Fox that UB is sponsering has helped to draw more fish. Lately there have been more tables and many more fish than I can remember before this televised series began.
Old 07-05-2005, 12:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

fold PF duerig
Old 07-05-2005, 02:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

fold PF duerig

[/ QUOTE ]

Simpsons reference.

What is that? Put your avatar back!