Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions

Old 12-29-2005, 09:30 PM

Default Re: Gave my 2 week notice

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

So...when do you plan to tell the wife? [img]/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea... she didn't take it too well, understandably, but she's supportive.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dear Big Red,

There's no doubt in my mind she "understands" and is "supportive".

Signed,

Guy on his 2nd Marriage
Old 12-29-2005, 10:02 PM

Priceless... Priceless. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Dear Big Red,

There's no doubt in my mind she "understands" and is "supportive".

Signed,

Guy on his 2nd Marriage

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 12-30-2005, 12:12 AM

[img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
No one knows me here and most of you probably won't care, but I wanted to mark the start of this new journey with a post here so perhaps one day I can look back at this for whatever it's worth.

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, at least one person knows you here. Finally took the plunge, eh? Good luck, man! Keep us updated!
Old 12-30-2005, 01:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

And by 'supportive', he means scared out of her freakin' head.

Old 12-30-2005, 03:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
No one knows me here and most of you probably won't care, but I wanted to mark the start of this new journey with a post here so perhaps one day I can look back at this for whatever it's worth.

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, at least one person knows you here. Finally took the plunge, eh? Good luck, man! Keep us updated!

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess you do remember... that was like over a year ago. Thanks for the encouragement and I hope to report back with good progress. Right after I leave my job, I'm going to Korea for about 4 weeks so my new "job" won't start until after I get back. I'm going to bring my laptop, but I'm ot sure how connection is going to work over there.

So, what have you been upto? Send me a PM and let me know.
Old 12-30-2005, 11:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Congratulations on having the guts to leave the known for the unknown. That you left your job to play poker is irrelevant. That you left your job to pursue a passion...that is what matters

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed
Old 12-30-2005, 12:50 PM

good luck, BigRed!

i know from experience that doing this with a wife and kids does add significant stress to marriage and home life. it's been 6 months for me now, and it does seem to be getting better, but my life is still more difficult since quitting my job. not so much money-wise, but stress wise.

i get to spend a lot more time with my kids, but i also argue with my wife a lot more.

PM me if you want to discuss.

tripdad
Old 12-30-2005, 01:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
good luck, BigRed!

i know from experience that doing this with a wife and kids does add significant stress to marriage and home life. it's been 6 months for me now, and it does seem to be getting better, but my life is still more difficult since quitting my job. not so much money-wise, but stress wise.

i get to spend a lot more time with my kids, but i also argue with my wife a lot more.

PM me if you want to discuss.

tripdad

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't mind discussing this here.

I haven't started my full time poker thing yet, but I know exactly what you are talking about because it was as if I was playing poker for full time in the past 3 years. I was keeping a day job while puttnig in 5 to 6 hours at night playing poker, so it really tested my wife's patience many times. She never liked the fact that I was playing poker, but she knew it was helping our finances so she took the good with the bad.

We've had many fights over how I wasn't helping as much with the house chores and the baby as most husbands would, and I know she's right about that. I always came out on the losing end on those arguement. But we have a pretty solid relationship and I'm lucky that she's willing to cut me a lot of slack for me to do this.

When we decided on this move, we reasoned that extra time I will now have during the day will alleviate some of the stuff we fought about. I really hope it turns out that way because I want to do things right. We've been married for 3 years now which is also how long I've been doing this day job night job thing, so she really did put up a lot with my crap.

Do you not find that it is now easier to make time for family since poker is the only job you have? How was it for you when you were doing the day job plus poker?
Old 12-30-2005, 04:34 PM

i also thought playing full time would allow extra time with the family, and in many ways, this is the case. however, now that i do not have to report to work at a certain time, my wife treats my new "job" with disregard in many ways.

she thinks i can take time off for any reason and at any time, and it has been a struggle to play the amount of time i need to in order to support my wife and 4 kids.

she gets mad when i tell her i cannot do "this or that" because i NEED to play this tournament or log in so many hours of ring play.

before, when i worked, she had help around the house and with the kids (they are all under 3 years old). now that i'm not working, she doesn't want my mom or hers over here as much, and she looks to me to pick up the slack, which makes me mad because i need to play.

tripdad
Old 12-30-2005, 04:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
4 kids.

(they are all under 3 years old)

[/ QUOTE ]

im guessing you dont fire blanks