Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2005, 12:14 AM

Default Re: #1 advanced concept I wished I hadn\'t learned

[ QUOTE ]
#1 advanced concept I wished I hadn't completely misunderstood.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYT
Old 12-07-2005, 12:46 AM

I find that at low buyins a mid to late position raise is often a real hand. The play is often too loose to steal. People will limp with marginal hands and raise with fairly strong ones. Late in a tournament this may not be the case even at low buyins.

Also at low buyins, many players have difficulty laying down a hand to a reraise. A resteal, like any bluff or semibluff works against a good player or weak/tight player, not against a calling station.

99 or AQ are generally good enough to reraise a mid to late position raiser anyway. You should have folding equity, as well as maybe the best hand.

Generally, you want to reraise push 4-8x the original raise. Any more, and you should usually just reraise to 2.3 -4x the original raise. Any less and your opponent will call, so you need a strong hand.

A resteal requires a steal, so look for a loose raiser to reraise. You would like to have at least a standard limping hand, but this is not always necessary. During the rebuy period, you may see a big stack putting in a lot of raises. If you have enough chips so that he won't be pot committed to call you, this is an excellent situation for a resteal reraise.
Old 12-07-2005, 01:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It has a lot more to do with the player. Big pairs get dealt to the button as often as they get dealt under the gun

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true of course, but often misunderstood to the point of being wrong. The way we should look at a raise for a resteal is: (lets neglect the value of our hand for the time being)

What range of hands is he raising there, of that range how many will he fold if I reraise?

UG: a player's range may look something like
88+, AJs+ (48 combos for pairs + 4 AJs + 32 AQ or AK = 84 total hands)

He will call with: JJ+, AQs+ (24 + 20 = 44)

So, a resteal would have a 48% chance of working vs an UG raise. (again, the hand ranges are just an example)

Button: a player's range may look something like
55+, AT+, KJ+, QJ+ (172 total combos)

If we assume the same call range: JJ+, AQs+ (44)

Our resteal will have a 75% chance of working.

You cant analyze a situation by thinking things like, "how often will he be dealt AA UG vs AA on the button". We have more information than that, we need to incorporate it. We know that, once we see a player raise UG, 52% of his hands will be strong enough to call. Vs. a button raise, which he will only have a calling hand 25% of the time.

So, although the number of times he will be dealt a 'calling hand' is technically the same. For all intensive purposes, he is 2x as likely to have a calling hand UG.

So, to use this thought process to your advantage at the table. You need to estimate how often people are on pure blind steals (not included in my above numbers for simplicity) and what % of their real hands they will call a resteal with. It might help to work through some examples where you assume villan will always make the correct call.

For example.
Give him a hand range (based on his image)
Give yourself a reraising hand range (based on your image)
Look at the pot odds you are offering him.
Given these pot odds, what % of his initial range should he call with, and what should he fold? If he calls, what is your equity vs his narrower range (where your real hand comes into play, and why 89s may be better than AT)

You may find that sometimes your resteals rely on unrealistic assumptions to be profitable.

From the looks of it though, you may want to go back and learn about what a resteal actually is, and maybe something on reverse implied odds.
Old 12-07-2005, 01:37 AM

I've talked about this one before with people... I think QJ might be the best restealing hand as you're in okay shape against AK (AQ/KQ/AJ are less likely to call, but they obviously do in certain situations or in the hands of certain players -- don't resteal if you don't think you have a good chance of getting away with it) or TT or lower... The problem with hands like 67s/78s are all the pairs that completely dominate your "live" cards, although you are very unlikely to have an overlapping card. Clearly you don't want a call though, that's the point.
Old 12-07-2005, 01:42 AM

true. It really just depends on the call range.

I see all too often players try a resteal on me, figuring I am over-aggressive, only to offer me 2-1 on a call. Then they show down A3, vs my A6 and proceed to railbird me for being a donk (which is true) for the next hour.
Old 12-07-2005, 01:46 AM

yeesh

restealing isnt about what cards you have, its about the situation. i'm not going to resteal with T9s because it's a great restealing hand -- i'm going to resteal with any two cards because the loose-aggressive CO with a vulnerable chipstack just raised in LP for the sixth time in four orbits, and there is a good chance i'll take the pot down preflop. restealing is NOT about showdown value.
Old 12-07-2005, 02:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
yeesh

restealing isnt about what cards you have, its about the situation. i'm not going to resteal with T9s because it's a great restealing hand -- i'm going to resteal with any two cards because the loose-aggressive CO with a vulnerable chipstack just raised in LP for the sixth time in four orbits, and there is a good chance i'll take the pot down preflop. restealing is NOT about showdown value.

[/ QUOTE ]

True....

But having 35% equity vs 25% in a big pot does matter. Situation rules, in determining wether or not to resteal, but in marginal situations, the cards you hold can be the difference
Old 12-07-2005, 02:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
yeesh

[/ QUOTE ]

True....

But having 35% equity vs 25% in a big pot does matter. Situation rules, in determining wether or not to resteal, but in marginal situations, the cards you hold can be the difference

[/ QUOTE ]

i feel you.

i just get a bit edgy when people talk about "great restealing hands." i mean, itd be nice if you picked up those hands when you are in a great position to resteal... but at the end of the day, youve got to take what you're dealt. after all, A3 has at least 3 outs to any hand except AA [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 12-07-2005, 02:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
yeesh

[/ QUOTE ]

True....

[/ QUOTE ]

i feel you.

i just get a bit edgy when people talk about "great restealing hands." i mean, itd be nice if you picked up those hands when you are in a great position to resteal... but at the end of the day, youve got to take what you're dealt. after all, A3 has at least 3 outs to any hand except AA [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree you don't want a call, but it's still nice to have "outs" -- in this case, better equity against a general overall range. I agree, like anything else in poker, it's situational.
Old 12-07-2005, 02:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
yeesh

[/ QUOTE ]

There is a difference vetween a resteal and a semibluff reraise. Tight CO raises, you might reraise with T8s, QJo, 22, or some similar hand, even though you are probably behind based on pot odds and folding equity.

If you have a strong read that a player is stealing and will fold to a reraise, you can reraise with any two. If your read is not as strong, you need a better hand.