Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2002, 11:15 AM

Default A Big Mistake in Hand/Reading !?

Hand/Reading !? I'm really not good at it. Here is a hand where I believe I made a big mistake !?

Paradise: $2/$4

I'm 3 off the button w/ JhAh. I raise 2 early limpers. The cut/off, the button, the big blind and the two limpers - they all call. 6 players and 12 small bets in the pot.

FLOP: [ 6h 9h 9s ]

The pot is capped between one of the limpers and the button - with me caught in the middle - everybody else is folding. 3 players and 12 big bets in the pot.

The TURN is checked around.

RIVER: [ 6h 9h 9s 8c ] [ 5h ]

The limper bets - I call - the button raises - the limper calls - and I call.

How do you like my play ? How do you read the limper and the button ?

Any comments appreciated !

Thanks, BB King's ... formerly known as the pokerplayer formerly known as Jack
Old 09-13-2002, 11:42 AM

Default Re: A Big Mistake in Hand/Reading !?

You might have been drawing dead to someone who had 89 or 69 or 78 hearts.

But then again you have the nut flush and could be against two naked nines.

Post the results
Old 09-13-2002, 12:04 PM

I think obviously the limper is representing a flush so you are not worried since you have the nut flush. The button's raise would imply that he is full and not afraid of the flush. Then again, you also have to take into consideration what kind of player the button is. Is his table image tight or is he LAG? I might reraise here if it is the latter, otherwise just call.

Btw, I probably raise on the turn when led into by the limper.
Old 09-13-2002, 12:17 PM

I think your hand is good, so I would reraise. Here is what would be going through my mind during the hand.

On the flop:

What are the limper and button raising with? The button called two cold preflop, so it is not likely that he has a 9 (or maybe because it is 2/4 he has 96o). What kind of player is the button? If he is a sensible player, there aren't too many hands he would be coldcalling with preflop, and capping the flop with. My guess at this point is that he has an overpair, either 10's or J's, with an outside chance of Q's (otherwise he would have reraised preflop instead of coldcalling). Maybe he has KQs, and he four-bet taking another crack at the free card on the turn. I could see someone making this play, as with you in the hand as well, he is getting 2:1 on every flop bet that he puts in. Since he is 2:1 to hit the flush, it isn't a -EV play, and it is probably a +EV play since he still has a chance at a free card. Also, if he caps and the limper leads out again on the turn, he can be pretty damn sure he is up against at least a 9, if not a made boat. I am guessing that the limper has a 9, but I'm wondering what his other card is.

Turn:

The limper checks. Hmmm, maybe he is trying for a checkraise. I doubt it, since the button seems more than happy to get into a raising war. Plus, he should want you to tag along, so he should bet out to accomplish this. By checkraising, he will force you to call two bets cold, which will encourage you to fold, which he probably doesn't want.
I am guessing that the cap scared him, and he has a 9 with a weak kicker. When the button checks I think he must be on a flush draw. If I had a 9, I'd be betting it in his position, especially with the flush draw on board. I think at this point that my initial read on the button is incorrect. I no longer believe him to have an overpair.

River:

When the limper bets out, he thinks his weak 9 is good, since the button didn't bet the turn. Now, the button raises after the flush card comes. Hmmm, either he just made his flush or he has 95 and just made a boat. I think it is the flush, though, because he coldcalled two preflop (would he do that with 95?). Now the limper only calls, so he most likely does not have a boat.

So....I would reraise here, putting the button on KQs and the limper on a weak 9. How wrong am I?? Good luck...look forward to hearing the results.
Old 09-13-2002, 12:58 PM

You can't fold the nut flush here, this is a huge pot. Good call, i think you hit enough, especially given that the turn was checked, to make your call + EV.
Old 09-13-2002, 01:14 PM

Default Get Out of Here ... ***** n/t

Old 09-13-2002, 01:20 PM

Default Re: Get Out of Here ... ***** n/t

BB, show me some love man....tell what happened! [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-13-2002, 01:23 PM

Default No - it is Not a good call !? n/t

/////
Old 09-13-2002, 01:30 PM

Default Why would he check the turn ?

* The button's raise would imply that he is full and not afraid of the flush. * If the button is full, why would he check the turn ? No ... that's not it.
Old 09-13-2002, 01:34 PM

Default Re: Why would he check the turn ?

can't believe you are leaving me hanging....at least let me know if I was close!