Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2002, 11:38 PM

Default Suited in CO on PP

I'm in the cut-off with QcTc. I open-raise - the Small Blind (SB) re-raises - I call. 2 players - 7 small bets in pot.

FLOP: [ Jh 9s Jc ] ... an open-ender and an over-card.

SB bets - I raise (trying to slow him down) - he calls.

TURN: [ Jh 9s Jc ] [ 5c ] ... and a flush draw.

SB bets - I call.

RIVER: [ Jh 9s Jc 5c ] [ Ac ] ... just like that.

SB bets.

Now what ? How do you like my play so far ?

Any comments appreciated !

Thanks, BB King's ... formerly known as the pokerplayer formerly known as Jack
Old 09-06-2002, 01:06 AM

Default Re: Suited in CO on PP

Obviously, you raise on the river. Why didn't you raise the turn and continue to represent trip Jacks?

Old 09-06-2002, 07:42 AM

Default I don\'t get it ...

* Obviously, you raise on the river. * Yes - I did.

* Why didn't you raise the turn and continue to represent trip Jacks? * Because I tried that on the flop. It didn't work. Actually I was going for a free card on the turn. Maybe not a good idea when you'r heads-up ? Am I missing something completely here ?

Thanks ! I really appreciate your comments - not only in this hand but also in general ;-)
Old 09-06-2002, 08:12 AM

Default Newbie: One comment and question about hand that opp has

BB,

Interesting hand.

My newbie comment: He called on flop instead of raising. This means he doesn't have trip Jacks. The fact that he doesn't have trip Jacks and your play is consistent with having trip Jacks is why Dynasty asked why you didn't raise on the turn -- I think.
Since you didn't raise on the turn, you are representing that you don't have trip Jacks. Unless you have 99, you are beat. You have a 100% drawing hand and although you have a massive number of outs, it's not enough to win the pot 45%-50% of the time. Your turn call is negative EV. You need to raise and hope he folds. Another way of thinking of this is that your flop raise is a semi-bluff and you need to keep your bluffing signals consistent.

I'm curious to know what hands you put him on. Here are my guesses:
Preflop: AA-TT, AKs, AQs, KQs, AK
Flop: AA, KK (his call of your raise knocks out lots of marginal hands. Do you agree?)
Turn: AA, KK
River: AA, KK (probably AA)

How do these compare to yours? What holes are there in my thinking?
Old 09-06-2002, 10:52 AM

Default Damn good analysis ...

* He called on flop instead of raising. This means he doesn't have trip Jacks. * I'm not shure about that. He bet the turn. There is no flow in his play. I hate that ! It confuses me !?

*You have a 100% drawing hand and although you have a massive number of outs, it's not enough to win the pot 45%-50% of the time. Your turn call is negative EV. * Assuming I'm not drawing dead I have plenty of outs to call the turn !

* You need to raise and hope he folds. * I believe both you and Dynasty is over-estimating the chances he will fold a better hand ? That is a general 2+2-mistake in my opinion !?

* Another way of thinking of this is that your flop raise is a semi-bluff and you need to keep your bluffing signals consistent. * I think you got a good point here. My raise on the flop shouldn't be a free-card-play (because it's heads-up) - it's a semi-bluff which should be followed up by a bet on the turn !? But then he bets and I chickened out - with a good reason ?!

I like your hand-reading-analysis.

* Preflop: AA-TT, AKs, AQs, KQs, AK * I would raise with AA-JJ - maybe TT/99 - AK - maybe AQ (suited or not) - not KQs. Close enough [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

* Flop: AA, KK (his call of your raise knocks out lots of marginal hands. Do you agree?) * No I don't !

* River: AA, KK (probably AA) * What about JJ or 99 ? I'm losing to AA. KK and QQ - I think he would have checked the river ?

Would you raise on the river ? I did.

Thanks for your response - very good inspiration !

What is a Newbie ?
Old 09-06-2002, 11:01 AM

Default Re: Suited in CO on PP

I would raise the river with my flush and call a reraise.
Old 09-06-2002, 11:05 AM

Default Re: Newbie: One comment and question about hand that opp has

How is the turn call -EV? He doesn't need to win the pot 45-50% of the time to justify the call. There is enough money in the pot to justify the call based on pot odds.
Old 09-06-2002, 11:11 AM

Default I\'m not shure ?

* I would raise the river with my flush and call a reraise. * That it exacly how I played it. Calling a re-raise - YES. But raising his bet - I'm not shure ?

Old 09-06-2002, 11:11 AM

Default Re: Damn good analysis ...

BB, I would simply call the turn most of the time for two reasons:

1) I play fairly low limits online (and I think you do too), and very few players are going to lay down their hand here. Since they are not going to fold there is absolutely no reason to raise since you have a purely drawing hand (he is no doubt beating you right now, whether or not he actually has a Jack in his hand).

2) He may actually have a Jack in his hand. He played very strangely by calling your flop raise and leading back into you on the turn (I am sure this caught you off guard. It would do the same to me.).

A raise accomplishes nothing here if the other player will not fold under any circumstances.
Old 09-06-2002, 11:20 AM

Default 3 good points !!! Thanks ! n/t