Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-29-2005, 02:20 AM

Default Re: Uber aggressive player/ what to do?

[ QUOTE ]
It can be a crap shot but you'll get a better crap if you hold the nuts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, if you're waiting for the nuts then this particular type of player will make a fortune against you all the times you don't have the nuts. You want to loosen up a bit, but not so much that you're losing more paying him off when he has a real hand. (Even compulsive bluffers are allowed to pick up real hands, believe it or not.)
Old 12-29-2005, 02:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It can be a crap shot but you'll get a better crap if you hold the nuts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, if you're waiting for the nuts then this particular type of player will make a fortune against you all the times you don't have the nuts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lets think this through, I am in a 9 person ring. I and everyone else pays the blind 2 times out of nine. This player is all in pre-flop. I lose 1 1/2 BB a round as do the others at the table. The lose player is going all in pre-flop several times in a few rounds. My loss is minimal.

When I am ready to goto showdown my gain is maximal and far exceeds my loss. My reasoning is this player will likely get knocked out before I get to showdown with him which is fine. If I use the correct reasoning and my opportunity comes then I will move, even if there are one or two others left in the action, with the right holding.

Playing this any other way IMO is submitting to his lose agressive style and joining him.

Monty
Old 12-29-2005, 03:00 AM

Well, perhaps I'm being unfair and you're using "the nuts" in the rhetorical way people do when they talk about "grinding the nuts". Preflop, the literal nut hand is two aces. If you're paying blinds waiting on aces (because you're just going to fold kings or Big Slick, right?), then you're paying 22 rounds of blinds for each time you get to trap him. Then you'd better hope you're sitting to his left (which is probably a good idea anyway), because if he has a lick of sense he's going to notice that you haven't been limping in with crap so he's not going to push if you've already limped.

We're really arguing about degree of tightness. Yes, you should be tight and agressive. But if you know he's pushing pocket deuces or better with the same frequency he pushes aces, and you're folding nines or tens, you're just tossing away money in the long run.
Old 12-29-2005, 03:28 AM

Yes I am talking THE NUTS.

Yes I would not stay long on his right he would run me over great point should have said it myself. Thank you. :-)

Yes it is the degree of tightness and if I know he is pushing PP deuces then I better have the NUTS. Certainly an AK suited or not is not that pre-flop even tho it has tremendous draw potential. PP 9's, J's, Q's, K's will still lose to his PP A's or even his AK making A on the board unless we get very lucky and pull the set or better out. Would I gamble holding a very high pair pre-flop certainly. Would I gamble holding AK against a huge pre-flop raise I doubt it.

Now im starting to want to get in a game with you and I mean that in a nice and respectable way. I'll sit on your right and we can have some fun. No scarcasim intended. :-)

Monty