Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2005, 12:32 PM

Default Re: Party observer chat \"temporarily\" suspended. Yeah. Right.

[ QUOTE ]
I disagree for the most part with this change. It certainly has helped with the spam issues (can't deny that), but it isn't a perfect solution. My father plays on PartyPoker as well, and he likes to play a lot of the tournaments. Before this change, I regularly railbirded when he got deep into tournaments, but I rarely do it anymore. I mean, it's fun to watch him play, but without being able to make comments (even "nh"), it sort of takes a lot of the fun away. He sometimes returned the favor as well. I miss being able to do that.

I always thought the simple solution was to:
(a) force somebody to have $50 in their account in order to chat at any table.
(b) Subject all withdrawals from newly established accounts (less than a week old) to a "chat" review.
(c) If they are spamming, the money is forfeit.

Between that and auto-identifying spam phrases - NOT blocking them, but auto-muting the spammers when those phrases come out (but making it appear that the spam was making it to the table) - would fix most of the issues.

Of course, that does require some programming expertise, so...

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought the same thing in the beginning until i was shown the light. Why should the other 9 players have to listen to you and your dad rub each others backs when you suck out or play good?
Old 10-23-2005, 12:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I disagree for the most part with this change. It certainly has helped with the spam issues (can't deny that), but it isn't a perfect solution. My father plays on PartyPoker as well, and he likes to play a lot of the tournaments. Before this change, I regularly railbirded when he got deep into tournaments, but I rarely do it anymore. I mean, it's fun to watch him play, but without being able to make comments (even "nh"), it sort of takes a lot of the fun away. He sometimes returned the favor as well. I miss being able to do that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Get AIM or something similar, end of problem.
Old 10-23-2005, 12:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Obsever chat serves no useful poker function, particularly after you have just been eliminated from a tourney.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the only time I ever use observer chat. Not to berate or belittle, but to say good luck, good game or see you later. I do prefer no observer chat to the spam fest.
Old 10-23-2005, 12:54 PM

It's a fair way to resolve the issue, but my father is a bit of a technophobe, so adding something "new" to the equation at his end always takes time for me to help him learn it.

It's not a big deal, don't get me wrong, but it is something I miss. Not having to see tons of spam at the table has certainly been a welcome change, and I would never want it to go back to the way it was - so I'm willing to not get TOO worked up about it. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-23-2005, 04:16 PM

How hard is it to right-click, turn off viewer chat?

I was very happy when PartyPoker support responded to an email where I complained about a specific observer who was heckling and being downright offensive. They showed me how I could disable the chat!

Ever since it has just been part of my standard routine when sitting at a table....post blind, disable viewer chat, ok ready to play.

Same with an abusive jerk berating people at the table...right-click, disable chat. End of distraction and back to focus on poker. That can get funny when you see the half of the conversation where people are replying to him.
Old 10-24-2005, 03:29 PM

I just sat down for a SnG and when it started I noticed some spam in the chat box and thought that the ban had been lifted. It turns out that the spammers are just sitting down, spamming then moving onto the next. Cute.
Old 10-24-2005, 09:04 PM

I hate that I cant berate the player that just broke me. It especially irritates me that the chumps around say "nh" when dude was dominated.
Old 10-24-2005, 11:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I hate that I cant berate the player that just broke me. It especially irritates me that the chumps around say "nh" when dude was dominated.

[/ QUOTE ]
I hate that I don't get to hear the fish berate me.