Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2004, 09:55 AM

Default What to do with 7\'s?

Small pocket pairs have been giving me trouble. Trying not to automatically fold when I don't flop trips hasn't worked too well.

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (8 handed)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, T200469 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, CO folds, Hero calls, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (5 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls, BB folds, UTG calls, UTG+1 folds.

Turn: (4 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, UTG calls, Hero calls.

River: (7 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: 7 BB
Old 09-10-2004, 10:03 AM

Default Re: What to do with 7\'s?

I used to try this crap and have now given up. Until I become a better player I automatically fold a mid to small pair w/o even thinking unless I hit a set or after the flop it is higher than any other card on the board.

I am still smashing the low-level limts so I think it has saved a lot of anguish and heart ache and possibly even some money. If it is -EV so be it because it can't be that -EV to auto fold them.
Old 09-10-2004, 10:06 AM

I'd bet the flop but fold when bet into on the turn. Good chance you're ahead on the flop and you don't want to give away a free card to overcards or a flush draw.
Old 09-10-2004, 10:08 AM

Once SB takes away control from you on the turn, and there is a caller in front of you, I would be inclined to fold--a heart draw came in, an overcard to your 7s came in and an eight is a possible holding.

Given your position here, betting on the flop was fine, but since you didn't break off a card on the turn, and you didn't take it there, I would let go--it is increasingly likely that you are drawing to four outs.

Otherwise, I don't really see where the problem is? Obviously take a stab with your underpair if nobody else seems interested in the flop (here, of course, your position worked against you...having the button encouraged callers you do not want), but in general I think how/if you play on past the flop is entirely situation dependent--ie, if it is HU, I'd be much more inclined to do so than if I'm sharing the board with six others.
Old 09-10-2004, 12:18 PM

I think the flop bet is fine. The board is ragged and paired so is even less likely to connect for others. The only thing is the two-flush.

When the overcard heart falls on the turn, I would let it go. The pot is not very big, so I wouldn't keep going with a weak hand.

Thanks,
J.