Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2005, 09:20 PM

Default 10$ free at stars if you can help me before 10:15

I just reinstalled Windows XP.

The wireless icons on my computer show that i am connected to the internet, but i can't get Internet explorer to actually work.

Other computers work on the wireless network.

can anyone help me?

thanks
Old 08-21-2005, 09:40 PM

Default Re: 10$ free at stars if you can help me before 10:15

Several things could be going on here, let's try a few different things.

1: Double click the Wireless Connection icon in your system tray (the area where your clock is), then go to the support tab and then click repair. Repair it and it will release and renew your IP address. Try connecting then and see if it works. If not...

Step 2... In Internet Explorer on the top pane, go to Tools, Internet Options, Connections. Make sure Never Dial a Connection is checked and then goto LAN Settings and make sure you have no check marks in anything here. Does it work now?

if not, let's go to step 3...

But before we do that, what type of router are you using and can you connect to 192.168.1.1 (copy this into your browser with no http, www etc. behind it... just the numbers) from the dead computer? (If you can connect, it should ask you for a password, the default password is most likely admin or administrator, with no username). Let me know from here.
Old 08-21-2005, 09:45 PM

the first two did not work.

The third one connected me to the username/password prompt, but i couldn't get past that.

Thanks
Old 08-21-2005, 09:49 PM

Hmmm... what type of router? Linksys? IF so, the default password is usually 'admin' or 'administrator'

But try 1234, 12345, 13456, or 1234567 and 0000. These are older default passwords.

If you have the user manual or can readily determine the brand of the router, go to their site and look up the manual for the default password.

Of course, if you may have changed the password when you first setup the router, use that one [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Also, one last thing before you do the above... go into the control panel and then to the windows firewall. If it is turned on, turn it off and then try connecting. But from the sounds of it, it sounds like you might be trying to use your wireless network but have some type of security settings in place that were in place previously but now that you have reinstalled windows, they need to be reinputted.
Old 08-21-2005, 09:51 PM

yea, its a linksys-g router. Ill try some of the passwords.
Old 08-21-2005, 09:57 PM

I seem to recall these routers having a security routine that'll automatically block all connections from all computers unless you've added their MAC address to the router's approved list. I'm not sure how to get to the approval or filtering options in the router setup pages (router rules?), but once you're in there, look for approved MAC addresses and/or filtered MAC addresses, and if there's one in the filtered list, move it to the approved list. If that's the problem, that'll clear it up.
Old 08-21-2005, 09:59 PM

i am able to ping both the Ip address 192.168.1.105 as well as the default gateway 192.168.1.1 if that helps
Old 08-21-2005, 10:05 PM

That is what I am guessing the problem is, which is why I need to get him to login to his router.
Old 08-21-2005, 10:39 PM

Do you guys just WANT to jack up his computer?

1. Linksys routers DO NOT come with MAC address filtering enabled.
2. If it WAS enabled on this router, if his computer DID work before the reinstall, then his MAC would have already been in there.

I hurt.

Nick
Old 08-21-2005, 10:49 PM

I was more so referring to WEP, WPA etc. protection, not MAC Filtering. But for the sake of laymens terms, I just kept the tone of the poster before me as not to confuse the OP. I think it is safe to say I know my way around networking in windows & *nix environments.