Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 09-23-2005, 12:01 AM

Default [OT] I can\'t do this anymore.

Today was the 10th day of my bad run. I can't take anymore bad beats, I just can't. I've been punching everything around me, yelling, kicking the walls...

I guess this means I need a break. The only problem with taking a break is that I really need the money - poker is my only source of income right now. Maybe that's part of the problem. Anyways, I just need to put an end to this, because it's not doing me any good.

Wish me luck.
Old 09-23-2005, 12:05 AM

Default Re: [OT] I can\'t do this anymore.

Hang in there man... we've all had our runs of bad beats. All you can do is keep putting yourself into good spots and let the cards fall where they may.

If I have a frustrating run of beats in SNGs, I find that pwning NL25 or NL 50 is a nice break. Maybe that's too low a level for you, I dunno, but it makes me feel better (and of course, the games are soft).

I really feel for you guys who rely on poker as your only source of income. I suspect that the fact that it is merely a profitable hobby for me helps me to avoid tilt.
Old 09-23-2005, 12:07 AM

Do something else for a few days. Whether that is poker or non poker related should be your own choice, but do something else.

Lori
Old 09-23-2005, 12:09 AM

You do realize you're up $1300, right? Not sure what limits you're playing, but I wouldn't call this a particularly bad run at all. Maybe not fun, but certainly not bad.
Old 09-23-2005, 12:20 AM

You may want to go back over some of your hands to see if you're making good decisions or not. That cuts the problem in half -- nothing to do about good decisions and bad beats. If, on the other hand, you find some leaks, you have something definitive to focus on that will be worth the effort. You've clearly shown (nice graph) that you can play winning poker. If you've gotten the yips over the last 10 days and have let doubt creep into you thought process then maybe you just need to play your simple ABC game to get back in the grove.
Old 09-23-2005, 12:41 AM

Just follow Yugo around in NL 6 max and stack off his opps. It's been working for me for a few days now.
Old 09-23-2005, 12:50 AM

Arghh, I know how you feel man. These past few days I can't even count how many times my AK/AQ hands get sucked out on by A9 A7 etc, busting me out of the tourney. And whenever I'm on the other end, I suck out 1% of the time. Man, I might take a break for a while.
Old 09-23-2005, 12:52 AM

I'm going to teach you how to get your mo-jo back:

1) Turn off your computer.
2) Ok turn yoru computer back on and finish reading this first.
3) Turn off your computer.
4) Hide all of your poker books.
5) Go out take a nice walk, clear your mind, play some basketball.
6) Do this for 48 hours.
7) Turn your computer back on and play again.

Sometimes the worst thing you can do is force your way through a bad streak.
Old 09-23-2005, 02:17 AM

Yeah, I know it's not that bad. It's just that all those bad beats really got under my skin. This graph goes through $5s, $11s and now $22s.

I'm taking a break until next monday, so the $22 tables should be a little bit softer these next 3 days.
Old 09-23-2005, 02:21 AM

You don't necessarily need to take a break from poker. I suggest you take a break from SNGs though and try other types of poker. Try six-max...once you go through a couple 150BB swings (which are pretty standard...200-300 are not unheard of) you will have a much thicker skin when it comes to 10-20 buy-in drops.