Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2003, 05:41 PM

Default O/8 hand -- wimpy fold?

Hi all,

I'm relatively new to O/8. On Sunday I was playing some 4/8 with a 1/2-kill. The game is relatively passive, with about 1/3 of the hands being raised pre-flop, 6-8 seeing the flop regardless.

I'm in the SB with Ac Kc Kd 2c. 5 limpers to me. I complete. BB checks.

<< Should I raise pre-flop with the hand from the SB? >>

Flop comes 8h 6d 3c (pot - 7 sb). I bet. 4 callers to CO. CO raises. I call. Everyone else calls.

Turn comes 3d [8h 6d 3c] (pot - 9 bb). I check. Checked around to CO. CO bets. I call. Everyone else calls.

<< I think I should have bet here, expecting CO to raise and trapping the field for 2 bets. >>

River comes 2h [3d 8h 6d 3c] (pot - 15 bb). This is an unfortunate card. I check. Everyone checks to CO, who bets. I fold. Everyone else folds.

Was this a weak fold?

<< With 4 people left to act behind me, I was very surprised that no-one called the river. How often are my kings good here? I can't believe it's 1 out of 8.>>

Thanks,
PP
Old 12-09-2003, 06:09 PM

Default Re: O/8 hand -- wimpy fold?

I probably would have raised before the flop but I can see not doing so to disguise your hand in the blind. But you have to 3 bet the flop here. With the nut low and Kings you want to limit the field and isolate the raiser. You played the hand as if you only have low cards. The raiser probably has A 2 as well. You isolate the raiser in this case. I would then bet the turn if it's heads up and find out if he's playing high or low. This makes the river a check and automatic call.
Old 12-09-2003, 07:19 PM

I started running some sims on this tonight (using poker probe) but I wasn't sure if I was doing it the right way so I aborted them.

The way I set it up is the following:

Hand 1: Ac Kc Kd 2c
Hand 2: As 2d X X

I chose As 2d because I thought the raiser almost definitely had A2, and the XX are 2 random cards which are changed every deal. I the board to be 2h 3d 8h 6d 3c.

Will this produce the right results?
Is there a way of doing this given that there were 4 possible callers behind this hand? Heads up it seems that it is an easy call.
Old 12-10-2003, 09:56 AM

I wouldn't raise preflop with this hand. Yyou are out of position and have no counterfeit protection.

I would check and call on the turn. The raiser probably has A2 also and someone is likely to have a 3.

I would agree with your fold on the river. There are 4 players to act behind you. I would expect someone to have a better hand than kings up with a paired board (also 45 makes a straight). You only have a live Ace for an 8-6 low.
Old 12-10-2003, 11:49 AM

i wouldve raised the turn hoping to isolate CO making the river an easy call even if you are beat
Old 12-11-2003, 10:34 AM

I don't think this is a good plan. Let's say your reraise works and you isolate the raiser.

If he has the nut nut low also, you are quatered in a head's up pot and put in 3 big bets (at least, he may raise back on the turn) on the turn and the river. If your low is good and the raiser has high you make no money on the turn or the river. If you get counterfeited and your live card is no good for low you cost yourself 2 extra big bets than if you just called the turn and folded the river.

This does not strike me as the most profitable way to play the hand. I think I want callers on the turn.