Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2005, 01:28 PM

Default SB vs BB hand, flop hits my 23o

$20 PP tourney, second hour, not close to the $

Stacks range from 6BB-25BB
Blinds 75/150
Villain is SB with T2600 (17BB)
Hero is BB with T2400 (16BB)

Villain appears to be a solid and tricky player. He's was short stacked but hit a run and doubled up a couple of times in the last orbit.

8 folds
Villain completes
Hero checks [2c 3d]

Pot 600
Flop [2h 3h Js]
Villain bets 150
Hero raises to 500 <--- comments?
Villain reraises allin
Hero ???
Old 10-26-2005, 01:30 PM

Default Re: SB vs BB hand, flop hits my 23o

easiest call ever?
Old 10-26-2005, 01:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
$20 PP tourney, second hour, not close to the $

Stacks range from 6BB-25BB
Blinds 75/150
Villain is SB with T2600 (17BB)
Hero is BB with T2400 (16BB)

Villain appears to be a solid and tricky player. He's was short stacked but hit a run and doubled up a couple of times in the last orbit.

8 folds
Villain completes
Hero checks [2c 3d]

Pot 600
Flop [2h 3h Js]
Villain bets 150
Hero raises to 500 <--- comments?
Villain reraises allin
Hero ???

[/ QUOTE ]
Turbocalls. Dream situation in a blind vs. blind situation. Just hope you don't get counterfeited.
Old 10-26-2005, 01:40 PM

Pretty easy call. If he has JJ, J3, J2, 33 or 22, it is a horrible tragedy and I will shed a tear for you.

Of course, if he has AJ/KJ/QJ/45, he has outs. Even against AJ, any turn card gives him even more outs to hit a running 2 pair and counterfeit you.

The fact that you are posting this thread means he either had a set or bigger two pair, AJ and hit running 5's, or 45 and hit his straight. So which is it?
Old 10-26-2005, 02:32 PM

This is a jack or flush draw so much of the time you must call here. These are the kinds of spots where you are a decent favorite that you just have to play to win tournaments.
Old 10-26-2005, 04:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The fact that you are posting this thread means he either had a set or bigger two pair, AJ and hit running 5's, or 45 and hit his straight. So which is it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Kh7h and hit a heart. Not exactly a bad beat.

Here's what I was thinking. It might not be right, but then again that's why I asked the question.

It's unlikely he's making a stone cold bluff here, since he just recovered from being a short stack. His range is something like 22-AA, Jx, two hearts, 45.

The special hands are obviously JJ, J3, J2, 33, 22. It's unlikely he has one of these, but nothing in his range puts me as far ahead as these hands put him.

Anything else in his range has at least a decent chance of beating me, and there are some hands that have a very good chance of beating me (e.g. 4h5h or JhXh).

I turbo called, so I thought it was an easy call at the time. But when I started thinking about his range of hands, I started questioning whether I should be in such a hurry to get all my chips in on the flop.
Old 10-26-2005, 04:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
easiest call ever?

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. No brainer call.
Old 10-26-2005, 04:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's what I was thinking. It might not be right, but then again that's why I asked the question.

It's unlikely he's making a stone cold bluff here, since he just recovered from being a short stack. His range is something like 22-AA, Jx, two hearts, 45.

The special hands are obviously JJ, J3, J2, 33, 22. It's unlikely he has one of these, but nothing in his range puts me as far ahead as these hands put him.

Anything else in his range has at least a decent chance of beating me, and there are some hands that have a very good chance of beating me (e.g. 4h5h or JhXh).

I turbo called, so I thought it was an easy call at the time. But when I started thinking about his range of hands, I started questioning whether I should be in such a hurry to get all my chips in on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

All the money goes in with you as the favorite against his range and in actuality.
That's a good thing. A good thing here, a good thing last time you did it, a good thing next time you do it, a good thing all the time until the world ends.
Old 10-26-2005, 04:20 PM

Most of the time you flop bottom two, you're the favorite, but not by much. If you put a lot of chips in and get called, you're gonna be dodging a lot of outs on the turn and the river.

That doesn't stop me, though. If it makes any sense at all, I'm getting all in with my bottom two. At least that way I don't have to guess on the turn and river.

(situations where it wouldn't make sense include, but are not limited to, me having 5+ times the pot in my stack, where I'll only get called by sets and higher two pair.)
Old 10-26-2005, 04:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
If 'thinking' could get in the way of you making this call then don't start thinking and keep making decisions without thinking. This was a good decision whether it came from your brain or an erratic electrical charge that accidentally caused you to click 'call'. Against the range you described you're a 2-1 favorite or so.