Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2005, 05:12 PM

Default Poker education similar to Sex education?

I thought to post the following in this forum rather than in the Psych Forum (though I may give that a shot, too) because I suspect that you, Ootiots, would tend to be younger than those frequenting most other forums and I want more "youthful" feedback even at the risk of subjecting myself to GodKnowsWhat!

Ootiots.... Your thoughts on the following:

Background is....I have taught my kids ages 15/13/9 some of the very basics of limit holdem. We have delved into math and probability. We have discussed the real basics of game theory and psychology. This "education" began as a way of helping my kids with their math homework. It then developed into a bonding/fun experience for all. It broadened their math skills and to that end it was, somewhat, successful. One child, in particular, clearly improved his grades due to the discipline of having to do his homework and play poker with Dad.

OK Ootiots... am I creating a big problem in the near future (in high school and thence college) by "condoning" gambling? As an aside, I spend a goodly amount of effort denouncing "gambling" per say. I stress that poker is a mathematical and psychological effort differentiating same from "games of chance." We talk about this constantly. The kids, of course, at their ages do not really understand the difference, but I do stress it.

Can I rationalize my behavior by saying that since poker is pretty much universally played in HS and college, my kids should become, at the very least, somewhat proficient and, hopefully, kickass. I mean, if you are going to do something albeit sports, school, work, you might as well do it well and to the best of your ability. I truly believe that.

Am I a retard? Am I creating a Frankenstein that I will not be able to control or at least guide. Am I contributing to the potential degeneracy of my kids?

Is it fair to analogize poker with sex? That is, since it is beneficial to speak with the kids frankly about sex, offering them literature and condoms/birth control if they choose to not abstain wouldn't my educating the kids about poker be considered as similarly beneficial?

Or... am I a selfish bastard who likes to play poker just a little too much and is jeopardizing their well-being?

What say you?

I am leaving my office now and will not be able to respond for a couple of hours.
Old 08-04-2005, 05:47 PM

Default Re: Poker education similar to Sex education?

I vote for selfish bastard.

Seriously, how are you going to like it when one of your kids says I'm gonna drop out of college and be an online pro?

Read Moneymakers book. He got started with prop bets at a very early age.
Old 08-04-2005, 05:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have taught my kids ages 15/13/9

[/ QUOTE ]

It took me like 5 tries to realize these weren't some new type of stats.
Old 08-04-2005, 05:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
POTD
Old 08-04-2005, 05:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
POTD

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah i was about to say 'dude, AF of 9, wtf??'
Old 08-04-2005, 06:59 PM

Haha, I automatically skipped the sentence because I don't pay attention to stats.
Old 08-04-2005, 07:06 PM

I think it's a good thing, as long as you don't overdo it, make sure they feel it's a fun hobby. If they end up playing poker with dad for 10 hours a week I could see them becoming very serious about the game within let's say 5 or 10 years. Which may or may not be a good thing, but I would certainly prefer my kids winning everybody's lunch money in school to them becoming college dropout internet poker pros.
Old 08-04-2005, 07:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is it fair to analogize poker with sex? That is, since it is beneficial to speak with the kids frankly about sex, offering them literature and condoms/birth control if they choose to not abstain wouldn't my educating the kids about poker be considered as similarly beneficial?

[/ QUOTE ]

Will you show your kids how to be good at sex?

I don't have kids so I have no idea what you should do. But I am pretty sure you should not compare it to sex. I know parents that smoked weed with their kids to try and educate them about it instead of letting them learn from strangers. I can't help but think this is a terrible idea.

I think kids will imitate their parents so if you are ok with them playing poker then I guess it is ok to teach them.

Edit: Be careful you are not just making excuses to enable yourself to get what you want without considering what is truly good for the kids in the long run.
Old 08-04-2005, 11:40 PM

I am not comparing gambling with sex but, rather, I am postulating that it may be beneficial to educate the kids about poker/gambling just like they are taught about sex. Similar reasoning might be that we educate our kids about matters that have a significant impact upon them, sex certainly fits that criteria. They are taught about STDs, AIDS, birth control, etc. Why not educate them about Poker/Gambling?

To be sure, this is a rationazation to some extent. I enjoy playing and it gives us a certain bond. But just as teaching sex in school or at home is not meant to condone the practicing of same before an appropriate age or maturity, similarly, my kids education about gambling ought not be automatically construed as encouraging anti-social behavior that is commonly associated with poker/gambling.

Comments?
Old 08-05-2005, 02:04 AM

I almost like your analogy -- but not quite.

Just about everyone in adulthood (except for a few monks) is going to find that sex plays some role in their life. A few words to the wise during adolescence can help make that a +EV experience.

Not everyone needs to play poker. Or even consider playing it. Some people just aren't any good. Some dislike the gambling overtones. Some have no self control and are constantly prone to going broke.

So as much as we all enjoy poker, there's an argument for thinking twice before introducing it to people under age 18. It all depends on your kids. Some teens get enjoyment (and maybe even some $$) out of the best of the game and avoid the bad stuff.

Others don't handle the excitement, the bankroll or the social stresses well. Before I spent any time teaching my kids how to play TPTK in a 3-handed pot, I'd want to make sure they were likely to go the Greg Raymer path (solid education, legit day job if needed, nice family, stable and engaging personality) rather than, say, the Stu Ungar path.