Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2004, 02:04 PM

Default Folding When the Pot is Big?

A couple of times last night I ran into the situation where the pot become large and I knew I was behind but hung around due to pot size. If / when should I have folded in the hands below...

Hand 1
No reads. I hadn't seen anything extraordinary from the players in this hand other than some reasonable agression from CO.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, CO calls, Button calls, SB calls, BB folds.

Flop: (11 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 folds, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, Button calls, SB folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (8.50 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Button calls, Hero calls.

River: (11.50 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls, CO calls.

Final Pot: 14.50 BB

Hand 2

Read: UTG is a LAG

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, BB folds, UTG calls.

Flop: (10.50 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (7.25 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (13.25 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 13.25 BB

Hand 3

Read UTG+1 is passive.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. MP3 posts a blind of $1.
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 folds, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, MP3 (poster) checks, CO folds, Button folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, MP3 calls.

Flop: (10 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, MP1 calls, MP3 folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (8 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, MP1 calls, Hero calls.

River: (11 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, MP1 calls, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 14 BB

Hand 3
Old 12-09-2004, 02:42 PM

Default Re: Folding When the Pot is Big?

in hand one i dont see how you could be good. with 4 other players in the hand chances of a 10 being out are high, and with the pot so big no one would fold it. im sure ill get called weak tight for this but id fold the turn probably. i probably wouldve raised the river on the second hand for value. i wouldve been more aggressive on the turn and the river of hand 3. i think a set is the only likely hand someone has that would beat you, as i dont see AK as that likely. it seems a bit passive to just check call the next 2 streets just cause you got raised on the river. he very well couldve raised with a flush draw or just an 8 so you might lead on 4th street or check raise. thats my thoughts but it certainly aint gospel. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 12-09-2004, 02:44 PM

I suggest you post the hands one at a time. It's difficult to read the thread when everyone is talking about 3 different hands in one post. Perhaps you could post Hand 1, see what everyone's thoughts are, then toss up Hand 2 and so on.
Old 12-09-2004, 02:50 PM

My turn call in hand one was in the hopes of catching a ten for an inside broadway.

My check call mode in hand 3 was mainly due to my read of passivity from UTG+1.

I normally wouldn't post 3 hands at once but they were all on the same theme.
Old 12-09-2004, 02:58 PM

Hand 1 : This sure roped you in, didn't it?
PF - Fine
Flop - 16:1 closing the action with an overcard and gutshot to the nuts is fine.
Turn - Not the card you wanted. Your outs here are another Q (maybe 1-1.5 outs) and a T (which may split, so we'll call that 2 outs) for 3-3.5 outs. You're getting 10.5:1 on about a 12-1 shot. You can probably expect an extra bet on the river if you make it so this is close. I'd peel one off because there may not be a T out there and .5 outs for an A evens it up.
River: crying call, your 2-pair may be good here 1/13 times.

Hand 2: wtf?
PF - Capping with AQs is excessive.
Flop - Fine.
Turn - I'd call this. Either UTG has a set of jacks or you're way ahead.
River - Bet.

Hand 3:
PF: I complete pf, KQo is just on this side of raising from the SB, I don't make it a habit against large fields.
Flop: 3-bet. You're behind AK K8 K3 KK 33 and 88, AK and KK would have told you they were there earlier. K8 K3 can be ruled in or out by looking at CO's PF looseness. I think you're ahead here until CO caps or raises the turn on you.
Turn: Bet out against a good TAG who would pump a flush draw. If you were capped on the flop I'm probably calling down from here.
River: Fine.

-d
Old 12-09-2004, 03:07 PM

Good advice. My pre-lop cap in hand 2 is due to UTG's lagginess. His VPIP was over 50 and I just read him trying to make a move with his limp-reraise.