Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2004, 12:04 PM

Default Re: I\'m a weak calling station, aren\'t I?

FWIW, I think Helmuth's book advocates LR-R'ing with middle pairs, though I don't know for sure. It would certainly explain why I've seen that from 77 more times than not recently.

Rob
Old 10-05-2004, 12:05 PM

I personally would have raised pre-flop and then bet/raised the flop, but your way probably earned you far more in this particular situation(if you won).

Turn call is marginal (odds are mostly there . . but) - with 5 players in you probably have 3 clean outs (three 7's other than the 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]) as any 8 likely makes a str8 for someone else.

my 2 cents

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] busguy
Old 10-05-2004, 12:16 PM

I think you should bet the flop. It is very possible that you hold the best hand at the moment, and it is also very likely that MP2 will raise with you have beat since he was the preflop aggressor. Thus, you face the field with two bets, which is good when you have a good but vulnerable hand in a huge pot.

Limpreraises with monster hands usually come from early position. This guy can have a smaller pair or some other hand that likes many opponents.

What I don't like at all but that has bean suggssted in this thread is checkraising the flop. That way you allow tons of hands to draw profitably against you when you have a possibly best hand. Collectively, these hands lowers your EV.

The turn call is easy. I go for overcalls on the river.
Old 10-05-2004, 12:21 PM

Bet the flop...call a raise

check/call the turn

raise the river..
Old 10-05-2004, 05:33 PM

Default RESULTS

UTG+1 had K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and won with his flush.

MP2 had A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].

I'm not convinced that raising the river was a good play -- I think it's better to go for overcalls.

I understand that betting the flop and letting MP2 raise would be an attempt to protect my marginal (and possibly leading) hand in a large pot. However, doesn't that require an unlikely parlay of events to occur? Namely, (a) that MP2 would limp/re-raise without a large pair, (b) that MP2 would continue his aggression without a large pair by raising my bet, and (c) that an opponent would fold a draw that could have profitably called one bet. Weighing this parlay against the (in my estimation) larger possibility that MP2 has an overpair, isn't calling and hoping to suck out the better play?

Cheers,
PP
Old 10-05-2004, 06:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
passive (less than 20% PFR).

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you should consider lowering your PFR requirements for passive indication...
Old 10-05-2004, 06:21 PM

I'm the only one who folds this on the flop?

Especially since mp2 limp re-reraised.

Your only getting implied odds if an 8 comes on the turn, and a favorable card comes on the river.
Old 10-05-2004, 06:22 PM

Default Re: RESULTS

As I wrote in my reply a limp reraise outside the UTG positions usually don't indicate a big pair. This is my experience anyway.

He may 3-bet preflop for a number of reasons, he might have a hand that he think he can value raise when he knows how many opponents are in the pot. He might also just have something against SB and want to punish him by reraising (sounds crazy, but I have seen it happen).

Also, we know that a preflop aggressor OFTEN raises when he is bet into. If he does not, and folds to overcards then thats okay to. His calling will likely induce someone with a bigger hand than yours to raise behind, giving you an idea of where you are in the hand.

Even though your betting the flop might not turn out as you wish I definitly think it is worth trying. The pot is just too big not to.
Old 10-05-2004, 07:23 PM

Really? 4 out of 5 times without a preflop raise isn't considered a passive table? Man, I've been playing in the wrong places [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

PP