Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2005, 11:58 PM

Default $55: Shortstacked with pocketpair. When to get fancy instead of push?

lvl5 (75/150), 5 players

bb=3000 chips
sb=2000
button=2000
co=1000 (HERO= pocketpair)
utg=2000

No reads. Folded to me.

i usually push low/medium pocketpair here, and most of the time the blinds fold. If i had JJ or above, i usually would min raise and hope for a call to get more chips. then push no matter what on flop.

How high of a pocketpair would it take for YOU to try to trap, instead of pushing preflop?
Old 10-03-2005, 12:05 AM

Default Re: $55: Shortstacked with pocketpair. When to get fancy instead of pu

I'm willing to hear arguments, but I don't try to trap here at all
Old 10-03-2005, 12:26 AM

Default Re: $55: Shortstacked with pocketpair. When to get fancy instead of push?

I'd need QQ+. I think JJ are to vulnerable, since half the time an over card comes on the flop and a small bet could be pricing in the blinds, especially if the blinds are the deep.

So for example, you have KQ in the blinds and a small stack puts in a small raise. First thing you do is get suspicious, but your small stack is still about 7x the BB. Sure it's push territory but with a marginal hand, maybe a weak/tight player would put in a small raise hoping (for who know what reason) to take down a pot. But if I'm in the blinds, I'll assume that there is a good chance that I could win the pot if I hit my flop with KQ so I call. Or if the flop misses me, I ALWAYS check knowing that a bet is going to get called either way, so there is no point in a continuation type bet. Point being, I limit my loss if I am in the blinds.

Therefore, QQ+. But AK I push, I don't even want to [censored] around when I miss the flop. GL