Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2005, 02:32 AM

Default Took a shot, did well (Shameless brag post)

I usually 4 table 200NL, sometimes dabble in 400, but today I saw a 600NL table that looked oh so juicy. I play on several sites, and I only had about 1200 on this particular one, but decided what the hell. Turned 600 into a little over 4k in about 3 hours, thus far the biggest day of my poker career [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]. I played a 1.4k pot with unimproved AA as an overpair only on a flush board (vs a donk mind you), but my heart was in my throat till the cards were flipped up and I took it down. It was fun [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Just for a minuscule shred of use to this post: If you are confident you can beat a game that is somewhat out of your limits, and you don't put your entire bankroll at risk playing it, I'd say go for it, just be prepared to handle the loss if it comes your way.

PS- I don't want any PMs flaming me by people who lost it their whole rolls taking shots and missing.
Old 10-03-2005, 02:37 AM

Default Re: Took a shot, did well (Shameless brag post)

Nice work, give me $4,000.
Old 10-03-2005, 02:38 AM

I usually 3-4 table 400 NL 6-max. With some timely finishes in 20k guaranteed tournies, I tried 1-tabling, then 2-tabling 5/10 NL 6-max. Sample size is small, but there are so so so so many fish that buy in for 100-500 that it's real easy to make a profit. And some guy bought in a total of 5 times for $5k before he finally quit. Sadly, I only took $400 of that.

Oh well. I've already made $2k, but I'm probably going to move back down now, and build up my bankroll.
Old 10-03-2005, 02:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Oh well. I've already made $2k, but I'm probably going to move back down now, and build up my bankroll.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought the idea was that if you're up 2 buy-ins you continue to take a shot [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 10-03-2005, 03:29 AM

Congrats. Always good to see 2+2ers doing well.

Hotpants, dear god that is a beautiful avatar.
Old 10-03-2005, 03:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I thought the idea was that if you're up 2 buy-ins you continue to take a shot [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

i still didnt feel comfortable sitting with a thousand bucks at a table ..... im still just a college student [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 10-03-2005, 03:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you are confident you can beat a game that is somewhat out of your limits, and you don't put your entire bankroll at risk playing it, I'd say go for it, just be prepared to handle the loss if it comes your way.

[/ QUOTE ]

Easiest thing to say in the world when you move up and run well eh?

That being said, I assume most young players that play high stakes got there by taking a well timed shot, or the nice tourney finish of course.

Congrats bro, I do love that rush, glad I don't play for it though.
Old 10-03-2005, 03:54 AM

Congrats. vnh sir.
Old 10-03-2005, 08:05 AM

I am going to be honest here and say I didn't run that well. I made alot of very good reads and went with them, despite the money being higher than I am used to. I was sitting with inferior poker players, and basically I just played poker. I know 3k in a few hours seems like alot, but there was a reason I sat in the game. I also realize one bad beat and half my roll on this site is gone, but that was a risk I was willing to take.

Speaking of running well I told my friend about the game and he came and sat down, and on his third hand got stacked AA vs KK preflop. Whoops [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] The game was breaking up by the time he got there anyway.