Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Would you hit it?
No 125 44.80%
Yes 154 55.20%
Voters: 279. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-05-2005, 06:07 AM

Default Would you roll the dice on your life? At what cost if any?

Inspired by this post: http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...o=&fpart=1

Leave info on your answer and back up your choice if you care to.

----------
Supplemntal Data:
http://www.nsc.org/lrs/statinfo/odds.htm
^^Odds of death
---------
Supplemental Wit:
A die! Get it? Get it?!?
Old 08-05-2005, 06:35 AM

Default Re: Would you roll the dice on your life? At what cost if any?

Mack
Old 08-05-2005, 06:41 AM

It's too late for me to make a choice on such a question, I need to think a lot more first. Probably 1,000 though, considering it's like accepting aproximatly 18 months of possible death by injuries included in the link. That amount of risk is probably worth the money to me.

Note: I wouldn't consider myself someone who cares how much money I have to an extreme extent.

I also figure:

It's obvious that EV calculation of this sort is very dependent upon the person making the calculation and their situation.

Variables include how they perceive taking the roll may affect them and those around them locally and perhaps worldwide.
----

I could get more extensive and/or philosophical but I'll leave it at this for now and post further if someone provokes it.
Old 08-05-2005, 06:43 AM

I like the 1,000 number a lot here, for various reasons. Considering our life is finite, this is a very good gamble to take, especially if you don't have lots of money already. There is a signifigant chance of dying over the next 2 or 3 years, and if you don't have a lot of money, this may mean you never have to work again in your life.

However, I don't think this is a linear correlation in terms of dollar amount to life dying chance. I mean, who can spend $1 Billion? How do you spend $1 billion without having to go through excess? A number like $10 million would probably be the best type of number to go gambling with, just enough to not have to work for the rest of your life.
Old 08-05-2005, 06:48 AM

I like 1 billion more because of:
1. Inflation
2. Gas Prices these days( I mean, what's up with that?)
3. I find it to be a more interesting question when it is more clearly an extravagent amount of money.
Old 08-05-2005, 06:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I like 1 billion more because of:
1. Inflation
2. Gas Prices these days( I mean, what's up with that?)
3. I find it to be a more interesting question when it is more clearly an extravagent amount of money.

[/ QUOTE ]
$50 million would be enough for most people. Maybe $100 million. After that, it gets a bit extravagant.

I mean, I think there is more difference between $1 and $200 million (in terms of personal utility) than $200 million and $1 billion, for most people.
Old 08-05-2005, 06:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
$50 million would be enough for most people. Maybe $100 million. After that, it gets a bit extravagant.

I mean, I think there is more difference between $1 and $200 million (in terms of personal utility) than $200 million and $1 billion, for most people.

[/ QUOTE ]

10 million or 1 billion it would make no difference to me, for the reason you originally stated, i.e never having to work again. So i'm taking 10,000-1 chances of dying everyday, I would be willing to take that chance for this money, this is also given the fact the I am unable to give a dollar amount for the value of my life.

Regards Mack
Old 08-05-2005, 07:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

10 million or 1 billion it would make no difference to me, for the reason you originally stated, i.e never having to work again. So i'm taking 10,000-1 chances of dying everyday, I would be willing to take that chance for this money, this is also given the fact the I am unable to give a dollar amount for the value of my life.

Regards Mack

[/ QUOTE ]
Every day? This is just once, right? If it was everyday, the power of exponential growth really catches up to us, and makes this bet very, very hard to take.
Old 08-05-2005, 07:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Every day? This is just once, right? If it was everyday, the power of exponential growth really catches up to us, and makes this bet very, very hard to take.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry for the misunderstanding, yes this is just once, what I meant is that because i'm taking risks already many of which are around 10,000-1 of dying I would be willing to take this one in addition to them.

Thanks Mack
Old 08-05-2005, 10:32 AM

id flip a coin.