Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2004, 10:18 PM

Default It Gets Worse for CBS

It now looks like CBS knew the documents were probably fake before the story.

I took this this from www.poewrlineblog.com

Actual Malice

Just when you thought things couldn't get any worse for CBS News, they do. Two document experts have now come forward to say that they were consulted by CBS, but warned the network that the documents did not appear to be genuine. ABC, which has played a creditable role in exposing the 60 Minutes hoax, reports:

Two of the document experts hired by CBS News now say the network ignored concerns they raised prior to the broadcast of 60 Minutes II about the disputed National Guard records attributed to Lt. Col. Jerry Killian, who died in 1984.

Emily Will, a veteran document examiner from North Carolina, told ABC News she saw problems right away with the one document CBS hired her to check the weekend before the broadcast.

"I found five significant differences in the questioned handwriting, and I found problems with the printing itself as to whether it could have been produced by a typewriter," she said.

Will says she sent the CBS producer an e-mail message about her concerns and strongly urged the network the night before the broadcast not to use the documents.

"I told them that all the questions I was asking them on Tuesday night, they were going to be asked by hundreds of other document examiners on Thursday if they ran that story," Will said.

But the documents became a key part of the 60 Minutes II broadcast questioning President Bush's National Guard service in 1972. CBS made no mention that any expert disputed the authenticity.

"I did not feel that they wanted to investigate it very deeply," Will told ABC News.

That's my nominee for understatement of the year. To continue:

A second document examiner hired by CBS News, Linda James of Plano, Texas, also told ABC News she had concerns about the documents and could not authenticate them.

"I did not authenticate anything and I don't want it to be misunderstood that I did," James said. "And that's why I have come forth to talk about it because I don't want anybody to think I did authenticate these documents."

Pathetically, CBS News tried to hold up the house of cards that is now rapidly collapsing around it:

"CBS News did not rely on either Emily Will or Linda James for a final assessment of the documents regarding George Bush's service in the Texas Air National Guard. Ms. Will and Ms. James were among a group of experts we consulted to assess one of the four documents used in the report and they did not render definitive judgment on that document. Ultimately, they played a peripheral role and deferred to another expert who examined all four of the documents used," the network said in a statement.

Sure, we understand. CBS consulted a group of experts, and all but one said the documents were a fraud. CBS took the opinion they liked and ran with it, slandering President Bush in hopes that they could help John Kerry win the election. It's all sickeningly clear. Except it's even worse than that: the "expert" referred to in CBS's statement, who supposedly was the basis for the story, was Marcel Matley, who has gone to great lengths to disassociate himself from the 60 Minutes piece, and will tell anyone willing to listen that he did not authenticate the documents.

So CBS News was warned that the documents were forgeries, by at least two experts that we know of, while no one vouched for their authenticity. CBS News published them anyway, knowing that they were perpetrating a fraud.

From this point on, why should any of us believe anything that we see on CBS News?
Old 09-14-2004, 10:33 PM

Default Re: It Gets Worse for CBS

seems like standard OJ defense tictics.

WHen evidence mounts, dispute the evidence.
Old 09-15-2004, 01:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
seems like standard OJ defense tictics.

WHen evidence mounts, dispute the evidence.

[/ QUOTE ]

What evidence? Forged documents? Uh I don't think that's evidence regarding Bush's National Guard Service.

In a murder trial isn't disputing the evidence what a defense attorney is supposed to do?
Old 09-15-2004, 01:15 AM

CBS competitors like ABC and Fox will milk this for all they can and they should do that. Why not gain ground on a competitor that's acting incredibly stupid. CBS will continute to be hammered and the criticism will be stronger and stronger. I don't think CBS understands the forces working against them. I'm starting to see a lot of interest in who's behind these fraudulant documents. I've heard some speculation on criminal culpability but don't really know if there's a criminal issue here.
Old 09-15-2004, 03:02 AM

Hi welcher,
Your pathetic attempts to get around the fact that bush deserted nauseates true Americans. You are a disgrace to the Constitution and the Bill of Rights. Quit trying to pass yourself off as an independent. You goose step with the best of them.You also don't pay your debts.
Old 09-15-2004, 05:53 AM

Here's a link to the story on the ABC News site:

Casting Further Doubt

CBS is real trouble when ABC is going after the story like this.
Old 09-15-2004, 08:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Shall we begin to prepare for life in an America where CBS and New Orleans no longer exist?
Old 09-15-2004, 09:44 AM

CBS is in even bigger trouble when those at CBS are saying CBS needs to show the memos are authentic.

http://www.siouxcityjournal.com/arti...10001702ba.txt
Old 09-15-2004, 11:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Shall we begin to prepare for life in an America where CBS and New Orleans no longer exist?

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, I will miss New Orleans.
Old 09-15-2004, 12:19 PM

History of Dan vs. the GOP

This is a good story about why the GOP hates Dan Rathers. It goes all the way back to when Nixon was being a crook.