Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2005, 12:34 PM

Default how good is your limit hold \'em

i haven't heard anyone talk about this book
"how good is your limit hold 'em" by bryon jacobs and jim brier. Came out last May. Has anyone read this yet? you thoughts? thanks.
Old 09-08-2005, 01:33 PM

Default Re: how good is your limit hold \'em

I'm halfway through it and it is great. There were a few discussions on this book and most on here put it in the "must have" category of limit books.
Old 09-08-2005, 01:47 PM

A very good book, you definately want it. I found it very thought provoking. I read the PL Hold'em book as well, but this limit version blew it away. 'Stosh
Old 09-08-2005, 02:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i haven't heard anyone talk about this book
"how good is your limit hold 'em" by bryon jacobs and jim brier. Came out last May. Has anyone read this yet? you thoughts? thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

This book has been discussed a litle bit on this forum; however, I get the impression that not everyone has run out and boutght it, which IMO they should. I am actually only about 1/2 through the book because I like to spread out taking the quizzes over a longer peiord in between reading other material. However, one could finish the book in a few hours I suspect.

While I had a few quibbles, by and large I think it is excellent. However, since the book is geared towards higher limits than I actually play I will defer to others to someextent. IIRC though, Nate tha Great said here thatthe examples presented table textures that were pretty reflective of Party $30/60 games these days.
Old 09-08-2005, 02:42 PM

This book is excellent, It's a big quiz of limit hold'em questions.

I wish they put the answers after each question so you don't have to flip back and forth between the questions and the answers.
Old 09-08-2005, 03:08 PM

Does it deal with Limit Hold'em tourneys at all?
Old 09-08-2005, 03:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I wish they put the answers after each question so you don't have to flip back and forth between the questions and the answers.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think this would work. I feel it is best to arrive 'cold' at each decision throughout the hands. If you already have some information from a previous answer then you will inevitably have a much clearer idea how to answer subsequent questions. If the answers are inserted after each question this is bound to happen. Also it means you have to fiddle around with a piece of card or something covering up the answers. I have read other poker books doing this.

I realise the format is not ideal in some ways but I am not sure there is a perfect solution to this. I certainly tried many different things and the final format seemed to work best. However, I may put another one of these together some day, so all reader comments are very welcome.

Thanks for the generally positive comments. Don't forget to tell all your friends to buy it too.
Old 09-08-2005, 07:44 PM

Its the book I wish Ed Miller would have written next. Byron Jacobs comes from left field to release the best limit hold'em book this year... and its not even close.

For those who have read it, it vaguely reminds me of a mix of the Quiz section in SSHE mixed with Real Poker II in explaining his thought process, but in quiz format. My favorite thing about the book is how he provides multiple scenarios rather than absolutes... which is how a good thinking player should process information.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 09-09-2005, 03:47 AM

HGIYLH is the bomb. Its the book that I would have expected Nate to write [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Speaking of which... I miss Nate's posts [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] He's just busy due to baseball season and is going to be back, right?

The topics it covers are a level up from SSHE, in my opinion. (Things like the value of initiative, agressive blind defense, etc.)

And like SSHE, it can probably get someone in a lot of trouble if they apply the concepts in inappropriate situations.

It won't be overly relevant to your game unless you are playing in a game where the pots are frequently 2 and 3 handed though.
Old 09-09-2005, 04:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It won't be overly relevant to your game unless you are playing in a game where the pots are frequently 2 and 3 handed though.

[/ QUOTE ]

cough cough cough shorthanded cough cough cough [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]