Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2005, 02:44 PM

Default folding a hand preflop after it is raised

Just wondering what the general thought is on this scenario.

You are in Middle Position with a hand like A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] or a low pp say 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] or suited connectors like 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] etc. you decide to call to see the flop and the pot is raised behind you.
What do we do
Call?
Fold?
scenarios could include pots with a number of callers or pots with no callers.

Thoughts?
Old 12-07-2005, 02:52 PM

Default Re: folding a hand preflop after it is raised

I wouldn't even limp with the A6o. I don't think I'd limp with the 89s either, unless there were a few limpers already. If I were in late middle position or late position, I might open raise with the 55 (depends on the table). In any event, if I limped with any of these, I'd call the one extra bet if it got raised behind me.
Old 12-07-2005, 02:52 PM

Folding for one bet after you have already put in a full bet is never correct and don't play ace trash offsuit [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img].
Old 12-07-2005, 02:55 PM

The idea of limping with some of the hands mentioned notwithstanding, I'm not sure I've ever found a fold for one more bet preflop. Let's look at the worst case: you limp, folds around to the BB who raises. You're now getting 3.5:1 on your money and you're not likely that big an underdog. I see the flop at that point.

Only possible exception, you're not closing the action after the raise, and you have a read on someone who's YET to call the raise who you deem tricky enough to LRR...
Old 12-07-2005, 02:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Folding for one bet after you have already put in a full bet is almost never correct and don't play ace trash offsuit [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img].

[/ QUOTE ]
Never say Never [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

.. also to the OP. I can't remember EVER limping a hand in middle position since I've starting frequenting the SSForum. You should read here more too! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 12-07-2005, 03:17 PM

So are you saying you should be raising with hands like 8/9s or 5/5 ?
Old 12-07-2005, 03:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it would extremely rare for me to raise either of these from middle position with limpers in (but I can't speak for the more experienced guys). But I might open raise with either of these depending on the table.
Old 12-07-2005, 03:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely raise or fold unless you have incredibly loose players behind you in which case you should seriously consider changing seats.

Never open limp with A-rag. The only time those hands are playable is for raises to either to steal tight blinds in LP or isolate a loose fish from LP or to make a stand vs a weak tight SB or button stealer in which case you should 3-bet and plan on betting the flop. A-rag is a tough hand to play correctly so avoid it altogether until you are more experienced with exploiting player specific weaknesses.
Old 12-07-2005, 03:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
No. I'm saying that you shouldn't be open-calling with them.

Whether or not you choose to fold them or raise them depends on a myriad table/game specific factors that can easily sway the decision one way or another. Without taking these table/game specific factors into consideration it is still easy to say that simply calling these hands is incorrect.
Old 12-07-2005, 08:13 PM

I don't think you should even play the A-6 off in mid position. The 8-9d is one where you'd like a bunch of people to see the flop, so I'd call the raise if there were a few people in. If everyone except the raiser is gone, I might just fold and let him take the puny pot. 8-9 isn't a good Heads up hand, cu'z if you do hit, he probably wont, meaning you don't make much anyway. I'd definitely calla raise with the 5's, although I'd prefer to get in a cheaply as possible. If you miss the flop, bail. If you hit a 5 on the flop, there's a good chance you're gonna pick up a pretty decent pot. But I stink, so don't listen to me.