Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2004, 09:14 AM

Default Re: AAA heads up: Should I try to get as much in on the flop as I can?

I'd probably raise the size of the pot. At worst you're a coinflip, and at best you're way ahead (I guess if he has a straight flush draw you might be a slight dog, but I'm no good with Omaha odds). I don't think it's bad to pot commit yourself here. After all, at this point, you do have the nuts. In addition, he very well could have something like AK or two pair, and given your failure to raise preflop, he might suspsect that such a hand is good. Of course, there are a ton of scare cards that could hit, and I can't say how I would proceed in the event that one of them were to fall. If a diamond or a straight card comes on the turn, what's your play? If you check, he's sure to bet. If you bet out on the turn, and he raises, your judgment has to come into play. A tricky player will bet/raise if a scare card hits, regardless of what he has. Without a solid read, it's going to be tough for you to proceed in that event.

That being said, I don't think you can just call here. You're getting "Sklansky bucks" with every dollar you put into the pot on the flop. If your bankroll allows it, get as many of your chips in on the flop as you can.

Just my opinion.
Old 08-17-2004, 06:07 PM

If he is good enough to fold to your reraise, is he bad enough to keep pumping the pot with bottom set come the turn or river?
Old 08-23-2004, 02:42 PM

you want to raise because now if he calls you dont make a mistake by folding on 4th to a bluff. and you have the best hand and if he goes out so what. there are too many cards in omaha to get you that you dont want him drawing with many of the possible hands that he may lay down. which is what he did.
the reason not to raise would be if you had alot of money and he called and you were going to be put to the test on the next card by a bluff capable player.
Old 08-23-2004, 06:03 PM

you want to raise because now if he calls you dont make a mistake by folding on 4th to a bluff.

Good point. I didn't think of that. It feels kind of wimpy to try to get all of the money in early so you don't get outplayed later, but I guess in a game like PLO with so many scare cards that makes perfect sense.
Old 08-25-2004, 04:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My PLO game has no finesse. My strategy is usually to just bet or raise the pot when I think I have the best hand. I wonder if maybe this hand was a good time to do something else?

UTG limps, I'm next and limp with A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Villian limps in MP. Two other players limps and the blinds come along. Seven to the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is a fact that you all are missing here. JTG51 you fail to follow your own strategy. Do you see why? You say that you bet or raise when you have the best hand. Your start hand consists of aces with one suited and you limp in preflop. Ok, this might be the second best hand but I'd say that this is the best hand here.

Now what might have happened if you had raised? The game sounds like a max 100xbig blind buyin so your opponents should be willing to call a 3$ bet. This is just imagination. Let us say that six people see the flop for 3$ each which makes the pot 18$. I would bet ½ pot here. If you get raised on the flop you can easily reraise all in. (Or close to.)