Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2005, 02:21 PM

Default Is any one tight agressive and a long term winner?

Ive played tight agressive and killed it, almost %1000 up on some nights but over the long term im a loser a big loser.

Id like to know is there any good players of texas holem no limit who are longer term and what the heck, short term winners, Im talking about people that dont go on tilt who are disiplined but also know how to change up and down gears. If thats you how much are you up, are you up 10k 100k have you made a million from poker. Do you use your gut at all or is it all mechanical to you. Do you play at home alone with 10 tables at the same time or do you hit the card club and play in person.

Basicly Id like for some body who is a real winnner at poker to just post here and tell us about yourself, how have you changed your game, we all have had rushes at the cards tell us have you had killer ones.

This should be a good thread.
Old 12-09-2005, 02:33 PM

Default Re: Is any one tight agressive and a long term winner?

I play standard TAG at the party medium stakes 200 NL 1/2 full ring tables. I average about 7.5PTBB/100 over 50,000+ hands.

If you were a losing Tight/Aggressive, it's because your not playing Tight/Aggressive. Sounds like you were probaly making alot of mistakes.

Bad players win more than good players, they also lose a LOT more. It's standard variance, thats why so many people think they are great at poker.

Most people 4 table online.

Downswings/Upswings are always going to be a part of poker. Standard NL downswing is about 5 buy-ins.

Edit: There is no "gut" to winning poker. Theres no "I have a feeling I'm going to hit this draw or that draw."
And to answer your main question of course people make money playing poker over the long term.
Old 12-09-2005, 02:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]

This should be a good thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know about that. But I'll humor you. I play TA. For lower stakes it's usually the only way to be. As you move up in 6max alot of different styles can be profitable depending on table conditions and your own ability to adapt. Since I began playing online in Feb I've made a significant amount of money, and am just now moving to NL1006max, where I expect to make much more.

As you move up and tables become much less juicy you must excercise much more discipline. You can no longer dump off your stack or a significant portion of it in a session and expect to still be up in most cases, as was the case in 25 and 50NL.

I was very easily able to 4 table full ring games, but my own problem has been trying to do so at 6max. Here I was realizing that the table was bad much too slowly and leaking away money in most cases. Eliminating that makes a big difference for me.
Old 12-09-2005, 02:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you were a losing Tight/Aggressive, it's because your not playing Tight/Aggressive.

[/ QUOTE ]
I whole heartedly disagree. Playing TA is in no way a guarantee to long run success, at least in 6max. You may be able to profitably nut peddle full ring but it becomes difficult short handed. People stop paying you off when you are viewed as a rock. They call your standard PF raise and ditch less than 2 pair. You need to be able to play well post flop too.
Old 12-09-2005, 02:39 PM

You are obsessed with changing gears. I remember your other post and you were obsessed then too. Trust me when I say at small stakes you dont need to change gears as often as you think. And when I change gears I have a reason too, I dont do it just because the clocks says it is time.

Rushes at cards? IMO this is not so important and once again shows you are focusing in the wrong direction. I am not saying this to be an ass, I am saying this because you are a "big loser" at poker and are not putting your mental energy where it needs to be.

For me the game is 80% mechanical. And yes I am a real winner.
Old 12-09-2005, 02:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If you were a losing Tight/Aggressive, it's because your not playing Tight/Aggressive.

[/ QUOTE ]
I whole heartedly disagree. Playing TA is in no way a guarantee to long run success, at least in 6max. You may be able to profitably nut peddle full ring but it becomes difficult short handed. People stop paying you off when you are viewed as a rock. They call your standard PF raise and ditch less than 2 pair. You need to be able to play well post flop too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Merc,

I play full ring and I agree you need to loosen up alot for 6 max. My style isn't exactly "nut peddling" as I'm very aggressive with multiple hands...but I wouldn't call myself "loose."
Old 12-09-2005, 02:49 PM

If you cant at least break even playing TAG you are no where near close enough to become a good LAG, lets not encourage this guy. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 12-09-2005, 03:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You are obsessed with changing gears. I remember your other post and you were obsessed then too. Trust me when I say at small stakes you dont need to change gears as often as you think. And when I change gears I have a reason too, I dont do it just because the clocks says it is time.

[/ QUOTE ]

If this is addressed to me, you are only partially correct. I tend to think a weaktight player is playing back when I'm being LAG, and most cases I have realized that this type of play is not warranted.

However, when I open my raising range pre or post flop when I've been playing TAG it's with due reason. This is because for instace over the last 3 or 4 hands I've played, a thinking lag behind me has called my flop bet when small cards flop and raised every time I've checked the turn.
This has me realize that I've been playing too tight and continue betting too much. Simple solution; change gears. Raise more SC's or check more flops, or make a flop bet and checkraise the turn with a good hand. That doesn't mean play lag, just that he's picked up the "mechanical" play I've been following.

Another example, a near maniac (only difference was he had some logic to his play, and would recognize what different player playing back meant and fold accordingly) was behind me at my table last nihgt. I was playing very tight. He'd rase from anywhere to a minraise to $20 bucks. I raise his button nce with a decent hand, he pumps it to 20, I fold. I do it again JJ, he pumps it up and I push. He folds and no longer reraised me preflop for the next hour of the session. He was calling all my raises and firing at large bets at small flops, check folding big ones. I raise PF with 45s (He calls instead of raises me now). He fires 20 in a $15 pot, I've paired my 5. I call and bet 1/2 pot when he checks the turn. He folds, I show and he curses at me. Next time he calls down when I do the same with AA.

As for being small stakes, I'm at 6max 100NL, so pretty soon it won't be small stakes and even now, I feel people pay more attention than this forum gives credit for.
Old 12-09-2005, 03:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Merc,

I play full ring and I agree you need to loosen up alot for 6 max. My style isn't exactly "nut peddling" as I'm very aggressive with multiple hands...but I wouldn't call myself "loose."

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahh, yes in smaller full ring games playing tight and having a decent idea of when to fold post flop, and extract when you hit should be enough to ensure some sort of long run winings.
Old 12-09-2005, 03:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

True TAGs are not nut peddlers or rocks which are should be referred to as weak-tight players. TAGs have to play well post-flop because that's where they need to properly use their aggression.