Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-26-2005, 02:09 PM

Default Position, Is it REALLY that important in some games.

This post is not about games with talented people. I am talking about party like .50/1 games where you are probably the only one that is position aware.

Keeping in mind that we have to question our teachers to learn, I think position is way overrated in alot of these games. I am having trouble when I have a good starting hand for late position and it is limped to me. If I limp or bet out no one follows the "script", in other words the players behind me don't fold to my "obvious show of strength", they are emboldened by it and get all worked up into a calling frenzy, sometimes they even start reraising, which sometimes goes on for the entire hand. These guys just have a real hard time folding a hand that they become the least bit attached to, they have to have what they consider a real good reason to fold and someone with position on them showing strength does not matter compared to the possibility that they may hit that third duce on the river.

I have found that sometimes you can use position on these guys though. Betting out big from early position with any two sometimes gets you the blinds. I think they never have time to fall in love with thier hand so it is easy to give it up to a show of strength. You can't seem to make money this way but it sometimes works.

Why does position not work for me:

1. Position is an over rated concept.
2. Position is not over rated but I have over valued it in my mind.
3. The value of position is a function of the skill of your opponents.
4. Calling stations negate the value of position.
5. Position concepts are over my head and I will never understand them.
6. I am missapplying the concept of position and need to do some thought and study on the subject.
7. Other

I could use some direction from others that have overcome this. I don't expect position to win big pots for me every time and understand that it is but a tool that will assist you in increasing your $$$$ win.