Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-19-2005, 07:28 PM

Default preflop suited aces and suited connectors?

In these games is it profitable to play low suited aces (like A6s for example) just for the flush potential? (eg. if you flop an ace you're not happy with your hand). What about medium connectors like 89s ?

I definitely avoid low connectors, and at the moment I'm only playing down to JTs, rarely T9s. I've just been folding the suited aces unless I'm in very late position.

Now, I know the standard tight line, but in low-limit holdem that line is too tight, and these hands that can flop something good are playable in almost any position. I'm curious if this works in low-stakes NL. Certainly the implied odds in NL are even better.
Old 12-19-2005, 07:33 PM

Default Re: preflop suited aces and suited connectors?

I love suited connectors in position. Raise with them, hit a hand and watch as ppl say how lucky you are and give you action. In LP, ill play 78s and up if folded or limped too me. Implied odds rule.
Old 12-19-2005, 08:23 PM

I only play weak suited aces in late position after several limpers, or in the blinds. I'm looking for flush draws, but 2 pair can be profitable too against other aces.

I play suited connectors pretty much from any position, as low as 34s or 45s (23s doesnt fare as well). In fact, i'd rather have a mid suited connector than a high suited connector, as me hitting the board means i'm probably the only person to have hit it (and overpairs will be more likely to pay off).
Old 12-19-2005, 08:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In fact, i'd rather have a mid suited connector than a high suited connector, as me hitting the board means i'm probably the only person to have hit it (and overpairs will be more likely to pay off).

[/ QUOTE ]

I like mids better also. You can win some medium-sized pots with hands like 76s agst decent players (big pots if villian can't get away from AA). But, you can win some monster pots with the higher connectors, if the boards fall just right because people are playing high cards all the time.

To the OP: Consider going down the sc ladder to about 76s...that's a good stopping point for a normal player, until you're real comfortable playing baby cards postflop.
Old 12-19-2005, 09:13 PM

I play suited connectors pretty much from any position, as low as 34s or 45s (23s doesnt fare as well). In fact, i'd rather have a mid suited connector than a high suited connector, as me hitting the board means i'm probably the only person to have hit it (and overpairs will be more likely to pay off).

[/ QUOTE ]

34s is junky. You have just as much chance of making a straight with a 1-gapper and if you are going to play this you would be better to play higher ranking 1-gappers e.g. 97s.
Old 12-19-2005, 10:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In these games is it profitable to play low suited aces (like A6s for example) just for the flush potential? (eg. if you flop an ace you're not happy with your hand). What about medium connectors like 89s ?

I definitely avoid low connectors, and at the moment I'm only playing down to JTs, rarely T9s. I've just been folding the suited aces unless I'm in very late position.

Now, I know the standard tight line, but in low-limit holdem that line is too tight, and these hands that can flop something good are playable in almost any position. I'm curious if this works in low-stakes NL. Certainly the implied odds in NL are even better.

[/ QUOTE ]

In my experience unless you're seeing a free river, most tables aren't passive enough to play low suited connectors or see flush draws. It's also too easy to shutdown when the flush hits, for this reason straights are far more valuable. I prefer having a straight draw to a flush draw.
Old 12-19-2005, 10:34 PM

Playing these hands require hand reading skills that an average NL 25 rock will not possess.

Personally, I prefer to raise them in late position and fold them in early position. Against tricky opponents, they're next to impossible to play OOP without a read. Conversely, unless people will CR a lot, they're rather easy to play with position.