Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 12-13-2005, 12:36 AM

Default No More Leap Year

So I was thinking... since leap year is actually just humans way of admitting, "Hey look... we screwed up. We miscalculated how long a second should be so that 31536000 of them equal the amount of time it takes for the Earth to do a full revolution around the sun," I have a proposal. Instead of adding a full 24 hours every four years, could we instead just have 6 hours of "non-existent" free time at the end of every year? Yeah, I know, it would screw up night and day, but that can easily be recalibrated at the start of the next year.

Think about it, 6 full hours of no-consequence life. Who else thinks this is a fine alternative?
Old 12-13-2005, 12:39 AM

Default Re: No More Leap Year

[ QUOTE ]
So I was thinking... since leap year is actually just humans way of admitting, "Hey look... we screwed up. We miscalculated how long a second should be so that 31536000 of them equal the amount of time it takes for the Earth to do a full revolution around the sun," I have a proposal. Instead of adding a full 24 hours every four years, could we instead just have 6 hours of "non-existent" free time at the end of every year? Yeah, I know, it would screw up night and day, but that can easily be recalibrated at the start of the next year.

Think about it, 6 full hours of no-consequence life. Who else thinks this is a fine alternative?

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh, why go through the hassle? Seems like the system works ok now.
Old 12-13-2005, 12:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Uh, why go through the hassle? Seems like the system works ok now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe you didn't hear me...

6 hours of consequence-free time!

Seriously though, when we finally communicate with life on other planets, it will be pretty embarrassing to explain to them our system, IMO.
Old 12-13-2005, 12:43 AM

some societies had extra days on the end of the year where they just had huge feasts and stuff. We should do something like that

There's no such thing as no-consequence. And the consequences of such a thing existing are terrifying.

[ QUOTE ]
some societies had extra days on the end of the year where they just had huge feasts and stuff. We should do something like that

[/ QUOTE ]

Now there's a man who is embracing his free time.
Old 12-13-2005, 12:45 AM

What do you mean by consequence-free time? Because that doesn't sound to appealing if you take it to be 100% literal. I don't want people robbing and trying to kill me for 6 hrs...

If you mean 6 hrs of just no work and all play, then I still think it's retarded [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

** until tony talked about food

I'm ALL FOR IT!!!! w0000000000t bring on tha steaks
Old 12-13-2005, 12:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
We miscalculated how long a second should be so that 31536000 of them equal the amount of time it takes for the Earth to do a full revolution around the sun...

[/ QUOTE ]

No such miscalculation was made.
Old 12-13-2005, 12:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
We miscalculated how long a second should be so that 31536000 of them equal the amount of time it takes for the Earth to do a full revolution around the sun...

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't be a tease. Go on...
Old 12-13-2005, 01:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't be a tease. Go on...

[/ QUOTE ]

Leap years aren't caused by any miscalculation, it's just because of the fact that the amount of time it takes the earth to orbit the sun is not an even multiple of the amount of time it takes the earth to spin on its own axis.

I'm with tony here. What a waste to take this extra day and tack it onto the end of a dinky little month during the winter and pretend like nothing happened. We should take the extra day and make it a total party day. Don't even give it a weekday name (so it would go monday, tuesday, super-special-party-day, wednesday,...), make it illegal to for any non-essential businesses to be open, and everyone would just go nuts for 24 lost hours.