Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events

Old 12-29-2005, 04:29 PM

Default Nolan Ryan wins 300th game!!

So once in a while for old times' sake I'll throw in my VHS copy of Nolan's 300th win. It had been a long time since I watched it, so I put it in recently to remember the greatnest that was Nolan. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Thought you guys would get a kick out of some of the highlights, old taped sports events are awesome:

-----------------------------------------------------------

Live, from Milwaukee's County Stadium, it's ESPN's Sean McDoughnogh and Ray Knight!

- Milwaukee's starting lineup - Paul Molitor, Robin Yount, Gary Sheffield, Dave Parker, Greg Vaughn, Jim Gantner, Mike Felder, Charlie O'Brien, and Bill Spiers. Pretty good top 5 of the order!

- Interview with Gary Sheffield about how he's nervous facing Nolan. Afterward, Knight talks about how he remembers Gary from when he was on the Mets, since Sheffield is Dwight Gooden's nephew. He can't understand how anyone would have a problem with a nice young guy like Gary! (Sheffield had clashed with manager Tom Treblehorn the year before)

- Top of the first, Nolan strikes out Sheffield to end the inning. That makes him like strikeout victim 1607, or something like that. Meaning that's the 1607th DIFFERENT player Nolan has K'ed. Claudell Washington is number one on the list, striking out 38 times.

- IN GAME UPDATE: From the Sportscenter studio! Yankees slugger Kevin Maas hits a blast unti the RF porch, giving the Yanks the lead. Yankees fans are excited about this new young slugger, I'm sure he's bound for a great career.

- Promo for the upcoming American Bowl with the Broncos and Seahawks. Lots of questions in this one, as the Broncos are wondering if they'll ever win the Super Bowl with John Elway. The Hawks on the other hand, are exploring life without Curt Warner and Brian Bosworth.

- Nolan strikes out Greg Vaughn for the first time, up to 1608 now.

- Awesome commercial: Chevy's new 1991 S-10 pickup. This thing looks sweet, it totally crushed the Ford and Toyota trucks driving up this big hill!

- BIG TRADE OF THE DAY: Ray Knight breaks it down - Ron Kittle to the Orioles, with Phil Bradley back to the White Sox. Ray thinks another trade must be in the works, because the White Sox already have a good OF including Ivan Calderon, and some young up and comer named Sammy Sosa.

- Short interview piece with Rangers co-owner and managing partner George W Bush, on Nolan's 300th, and the Rangers chances. He likes their shot at catching Oakland, despite being 12 games back.

- The Rangers take a 4-1 lead after a big Jeff Huson triple!

- Another Awesome commercial: This lady is in the airport, and needs to get some work done, but how can she connect with her office? AT&T to the rescue - they have this new card where you can connect your computer, THROUGH THE PHONE LINE, and get work done. I don't see this kind of gimmick catching on, personally.

- Nolan cruises through the middle innings. Through 7 innings, 7 IP, 2 hits, 1 ER, 1 BB, 7 K's.

- Some trouble for Nolan in the 8th, after 2B-man Julio Franco's two errors lead to a slim 5-3 margin. The Rangers bring in flamethrowing reliever Brad Arnsberg, to stop the damage. Nolan leaves after a mere 145 pitches, to a standing O.

- Sweet extended shot of George W Bush in the front row, this time picking his nose twice. Seriously.

- Julio Franco redeems himself with a grandslam in the top of the 9th, bringing the lead up to 11-3!

- A look at the AL standings! Toronto and Boston are fighting it out at the top of the AL East. The Yankees bring up the rear, 15 games back of the pack. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

- Brad Arnsberg gets the last three outs, including getting Robin Yount to pop out to end the game! Nolan and his two sons celebrate in the dugout, before he comes out on the field and tips his hat to the crowd.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Nolan was the man. I like stats at much as the next guy, but watching him in this game was a great reminder of how awesome his fastball was. He made Greg Vaughn especially look foolish a number of times, feeding him nothing but heat. The greatness of a ballplayer cannot be measured by stats alone! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 12-29-2005, 04:36 PM

Default Re: Nolan Ryan wins 300th game!!

awesome post
Old 12-29-2005, 04:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
awesome post

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 12-29-2005, 05:04 PM

Great post. You should forward the W nose picking to Stuey for future avitar use.
Old 12-29-2005, 05:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The greatness of a ballplayer cannot be measured by stats alone!

[/ QUOTE ]

Your post (only the 4th in this forum this month) would be much better without this. At best, it's a total non-sequitur. At worst it's baiting. I'll give you the benefit of doubt since you're supposed to be a moderator.
Old 12-29-2005, 06:12 PM

Awesome post.

Another part of Ryan I remember was him getting his 5000th K off or Rickey Henderson on an outside corner fastball in which Rickey bangs his bat against homeplate after the swing and miss.

Guess he didn't want to be remembered for this. Sorry Richard.
Old 12-29-2005, 06:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Your post (only the 4th in this forum this month) would be much better without this. At best, it's a total non-sequitur. At worst it's baiting. I'll give you the benefit of doubt since you're supposed to be a moderator.

[/ QUOTE ]wow, way to ruin a nice post.
Old 12-29-2005, 06:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Gee, thanks for giving me the benefit of the doubt.

My point in the whole post was merely that Nolan was awesome because he was fun to watch. He has a mix of awesome stats, and crappy stats, but he's an all-time great in my book because he was an exciting player to see pitch.
Old 12-29-2005, 09:41 PM

Agree with the rest, awesome post. Even though I'm a Reds fan, Nolan was my favorite player as a kid. I kept score of this game while watching on television, and I made a tape of it that I think my dad still has. I even remember the Kevin Maas hype, though not necessarily from that game.

Man, I just remembered that I used to be a huge day-to-day fan of baseball, memorizing stats off my Topps and Donruss cards, following the standings in the newspaper, watching all the Cubs and Braves games I could just because they were on.

It's too bad that the Strike killed that part of me and left just another bandwagoning casual fan doofus.
Old 12-29-2005, 09:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Gee, thanks for giving me the benefit of the doubt.

My point in the whole post was merely that Nolan was awesome because he was fun to watch. He has a mix of awesome stats, and crappy stats, but he's an all-time great in my book because he was an exciting player to see pitch.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with you that he was a very exciting pitcher to watch. I'll also grant that he was an all-time great. However, he was exciting to watch because he was an all-time great, not the other way around.

I could post so much more but it would derail the topic even further and I don't know if I have it in me to write that much.