Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-24-2005, 01:45 PM

Default Re: $55: 88 utg w/ the chip lead

btw I would never fold this ever, and havent once in my last few thousand sit and gos. I'd say that if you do fold this you probably have some other major problems. This is simply a +EV push, not to mention just a +EV normal raise.
Old 12-24-2005, 06:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
with 707 CO to act behind you, I might throw it away. I'm not looking to flip for 707 in chips. Yeah I guess I chuck it, and be a little annoyed about doing so.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't understand this at all. You fold this because you are afraid of the small stack? I'd still have 2300 chips and the chip lead if I lost to him. If I could go heads up with him with 88 against AK I would love it in this situation.

By the way, the only chance I was going to fold this would be a misclick.
Old 12-24-2005, 06:58 PM

the flaw with ure logic is that ure supposing that everybodys range consists of calling with 99+.
Old 12-24-2005, 07:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
but based on my experience I know this is in the .2-.5% range.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very good.
Old 12-24-2005, 09:17 PM

when there is 6 people left, I don't make to much of having 3k in chips and the chip lead. I still don't take flip risks. Just the way I play. Although I will admit that If I feel I can steal...like strongly feel I can steal, I may raise to 400. But I doubt it.

EDIT: I also never play on Party, so chip average is waaaayyyy different when I hold 3k.
Old 12-24-2005, 09:30 PM

Pushing is +EV (reference is folding) but that doesn't mean it is the best play. Since I'm a push/fold player, I would push. Folding is dead wrong in this spot.
Old 12-24-2005, 11:34 PM

SNGPT gives 0.4% against tight calling ranges, which is in the range you assumed (0.2%-0.5%). SNGPT advocates not pushing when the EV is <0.5%, but I can understand your point if you want to take any +EV edge, however small it may be. I sometimes push this hand, but also sometimes fold it. Since it's so close, it probably doesnt matter significantly if you fold or push, unless the table calls very loose, making a push significantly better.
Old 12-25-2005, 07:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
SNGPT gives 0.4% against tight calling ranges, which is in the range you assumed (0.2%-0.5%). SNGPT advocates not pushing when the EV is <0.5%, but I can understand your point if you want to take any +EV edge, however small it may be. I sometimes push this hand, but also sometimes fold it. Since it's so close, it probably doesnt matter significantly if you raise or push . . .

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate FYP's, but FYP.
Old 12-25-2005, 09:13 PM

You all make it so complicated. You have 88. You're not folding. You're also not raising because you can't fold to a reraise. Blinds are big enough that you are approaching push/fold mode anyway, and you are probably ten tabling, so just shove and move on to the next table already.
Old 12-26-2005, 12:26 AM

OK LET ME MAKE THIS CLEAR BECAUSE ITS VERY IMPORTANT. SNGPT does not advocate not pushing when the advantage is less than .5%. If you believe thats the case then you are so drastically abusing the product that its not even funny. Do you realize what .5% advantage is at the $109s? It's about $5. Do you realize thats 5 ROI points right there? I mean if your ROI is something like 50% then maybe you can give them up, but otherwise its not even remotely close. Anything above .2% is basically always an automatic play for me, and people who regularly fold in these spots are being morons IMO. If you want to throw away 2-4 ROI points on one single hand then be my guest. I'd love to be that cavalier with my ROI.

The .5 minimum edge is an EXTREMELY bad default setting. If you pay attention to that you will be playing terrible poker.