Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2005, 01:16 PM

Default Re: More Expensive Than World War One

I'm completely against this war but I don't believe this article shows it to be a financial outlier from a GDP relative standpoint. It sounds intriguing that it costs more than WWI but I think WWI is the outlier here compared to the other wars. Shouldn't we also be saying "OMG, Vietnam and Korea costs more than WWI!"
Old 08-30-2005, 01:32 PM

Default Re: More Expensive Than World War One

[ QUOTE ]
I'm completely against this war but I don't believe this article shows it to be a financial outlier from a GDP relative standpoint. It sounds intriguing that it costs more than WWI but I think WWI is the outlier here compared to the other wars. Shouldn't we also be saying "OMG, Vietnam and Korea costs more than WWI!"

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. If you don't like the war, there are plenty of legitimate reasons to argue without throwing this in, too. If (and I say if) the war really did contain a dictator that would have killed millions of Americans if he had the chance, then $850 per person would seem like a bargain. So the issue isn't the price tag as much as the reasons for war.

But keeping tabs on the price of war is important in the sense that we realize some of the price we all are paying.