Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Do you still learn anything from the Beginner's Forum?
In all honesty, the topics there are beneath me now. 0 0%
Every once in a while, but at this point I'm more likely to give advice than to need it. 7 58.33%
Heck yea, every day. 5 41.67%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-13-2005, 11:13 AM

Default Re: Most Influential band of our generation

[ QUOTE ]
Counting Crows, in terms of rock, alt, and a whole bunch of other stuff, were the most influential band of the 90s.

[/ QUOTE ]

you should have put a smiley so people would know you were joking. counting crows is the most god aweful band just about ever. every time i hear that winey nazely punk i want to slap him. mr jones and....whap!

nirvana is far and away the most influential of my generation. look at the music before them(hair bands) and then look what came out for the next 10 years after smells like teen spirit hit. hell they even changed the way we dressed and made being dirty fashionable again for the first time since the hippies. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 02-13-2005, 01:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
nirvana is far and away the most influential of my generation. look at the music before them(hair bands) and then look what came out for the next 10 years after smells like teen spirit hit. hell they even changed the way we dressed and made being dirty fashionable again for the first time since the hippies. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
Nirvana has definateley had their influence. That said, you can usually get an indication of a bands influence by how many immitators there are. When I turn on the radio today what I hear is a seemingly endless parade of Green Day knock offs.
Discuss...

Russ
Old 02-14-2005, 06:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Counting Crows, in terms of rock, alt, and a whole bunch of other stuff, were the most influential band of the 90s.

[/ QUOTE ]

you should have put a smiley so people would know you were joking. counting crows is the most god aweful band just about ever. every time i hear that winey nazely punk i want to slap him. mr jones and....whap!

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree, everyone mentions Nirvana and yes they destroyed the hair bands and to a point thrash and normal metal as well, but they were the head of the grunge movement and since he blew his head off grunge died all those bands disappeared and now normal service is being resumed.

The ten years after Nirvana were probably the blandest in music history, Nu Metal came along but I more blanme Faith No More, Anthrax and Rage Against the machine for that. Even then the music Nirvana destroyed has been going on strong, look who who huge then and are huge now Ozzy, Metallica and Kiss are all huge live draws, plus with the Darkness leading the glam metal rerevolution seems to be starting with Motley Crue and others getting back together. Bands like Maiden etc have been plodding along still making lots of cash.

Lots of people cite Nirvana as their influences but I dont hear anyone still playing their type of music, I feel its more the media hype and the fact he killed himself that elevated Nirvana to this legend status, I agree Nevermind was a fantastic album but Bleach and In Utero were rubbish.