Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium-Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2005, 01:11 PM

Default The big stack or the big donk?

When you sit down in a game where do you prefer to sit? Next to the guy (on his left) with the money, or next to the shortstack donk? Assume the big stack is a breakeven better than avarege player.

I often find this scenario when I join 6max tables with hihg VPIP. There are one or two guys with 100-150BB stacks, but often it is the three other shortstacks that make the table have a high VPIP. Being next to the the three loose players is good, but they have short stacks so you don't get to punish them fully when they make mistakes. A problem is also if the big stacks are good players they will start calling your isolation raises on the button and stealing the pot from you...
Sitting next to the big stack has the advantage that you get to play big pots in position, but this player is better so he is less likely to get involved in big pots OOP. A problem is also that when you sit to the right of donks you will often find yourself OOP on the flop because they call preflop raises much more frequently. If they are calling stations too, that scenario can get pretty ugly when you hold hands like AK,AQ,AJ, KQ, either you get predictable or you spew chips into missed flops with continuation bets (if they get called you have little room to continue bluffing since they are shortstacked)

Should I just avoid games like this (reason I posted is that I find alot of these games), or am I making a big deal out of something that is really not a problem?
Old 12-09-2005, 02:02 PM

Default Re: The big stack or the big donk?

This is a relatively unimportant question. If a table has a good player with a deep stack and a lot of shortstacked donks, its not a very good table overall. Long term, you're losing money to the good player (or breaking even, or winning a small amount) and only winning a small amount from the bad players (due to their short stacks). Generally, you'd be better off looking for bad player with medium to large stacks and sit at tables where you can have position on them. I believe this is far more profitable than any seat at the table scenario you describe. If you're playing at a site where you run into that scenario more than any other, perhaps you would be better off finding a new site.