Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2005, 02:22 PM

Default Re: House

[ QUOTE ]

I honestly believe that episode was the best single hour of network programming that I may have ever seen.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you watch NYPD Blue? The episode where Simone is dying would be my pick for this honor.

Swede
Old 11-16-2005, 02:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I honestly believe that episode was the best single hour of network programming that I may have ever seen.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you watch NYPD Blue? The episode where Simone is dying would be my pick for this honor.

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]

Heard that was a good one, but I never really got into NYPD Blue.

You may have a new elimination poll idea here, Swede...
Old 11-16-2005, 02:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hugh Laurie played Bertie Wooster in it, is why I ask.

[/ QUOTE ]
That is wild. You Brits are talented. My mother got me to read some of the P.G. Wodehouse books when I was in high school. I loved Bertie Wooster! Didn't know Hugh Laurie played him. What a cool actor. I don't always like the House episodes but it's almost worth watching just to see Hugh Laurie. He's so talented and has pretty eyes.

[/ QUOTE ]

PG Wodehouse is an excellent read, anywhere, anytime. So light, so easy, so funny. And yes, I won't demur about us Brits. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-16-2005, 02:57 PM

its up there
Old 11-16-2005, 04:55 PM

I am british. My father is british. Both of us are huge blackadder fans. my father is a huge jeeves and wooster fan. I was visiting my parents one night, and my father was watching House. I'd heard of the show, and I'd heard Hugh Laurie was in it. I asked my father what role Hugh Laurie played, and he said, 'Hugh Laurie is in this? I don't think so...' We continued watching for another ten minutes before my father says, 'Wait, I think HE'S Hugh Laurie'. Only then did I realize I'd been watching him for twenty minutes already. The accent threw us that much.
Old 11-16-2005, 08:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hugh Laurie played Bertie Wooster in it, is why I ask.

[/ QUOTE ]
That is wild. You Brits are talented. My mother got me to read some of the P.G. Wodehouse books when I was in high school. I loved Bertie Wooster! Didn't know Hugh Laurie played him. What a cool actor. I don't always like the House episodes but it's almost worth watching just to see Hugh Laurie. He's so talented and has pretty eyes.

[/ QUOTE ]
An author as well. link
Old 11-16-2005, 08:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You stole my post...

It does have a formula but so do other shows that don't suck...Law and Order, Mash ("We got wounded here!"), early ER (before it became St. Elsewhere), the Prisoner, the Fugitive, etc...

In fact House is essentially CSI without annoying flashlights...except the acting/writing/hotladydoctor makes it stand out.

[/ QUOTE ]
At least in Law & Order the cases are different to some degree, and there can be a twist every now and then. On House, he busts on his staff, flirts with his boss, listens to Robert Sean Leonard tell him what a heartless bastard he is, they always try three different treatments before House notices something miniscule, and then gives the correct diagnosis. And also, other than last week, the patient always survives. The House character is the only one that shows any type of growth. Again, its a good show due to the acting, but it could be better, IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. Although I sometimes watch Law & Order, it's just as fourmulaic as House is, if not more so.

House is a very good show, I try to remember to watch it, but if I miss it I'm not overly concerned (partly because it is so fourmulaic)... I might get the DVDs... Who knows?

P.S. I also like CSI... At least the older ones...
Old 11-16-2005, 10:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The Gregory House character is great, but the episodes themselves are extremely formulaic. If you've seen one episode, you've seen them all.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree, yet it's still my 2nd or 3rd favorite show and I never miss an episode. The dialogue is great and he's an excellent actor.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you Yanks get 'Jeeves and Wooster' in the 80s/90s?

And of course, in acting as in so many things, the British are the guv'nors! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

You had to work to get J&W. Yet for some perverse reason, it is mind-numbingly easy to get Benny Hill and Are You Being Served? You've got a lot to answer for there. I just paid a scandalous sum to get Yes Minister on DVD. It isn't quite as good as I remember it being, but still worth watching. I fear I'm missing a fair bit of Brit-specific humour.

Back to House. It rocks. I don't care that the plots are frequently formulaic. I also don't care that the supporting cast is uneven. The dialogue writing and Laurie's acting ability more than make up for these other trifles.
Old 11-16-2005, 10:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You had to work to get J&W. Yet for some perverse reason, it is mind-numbingly easy to get Benny Hill and Are You Being Served? You've got a lot to answer for there.

[/ QUOTE ]

OMG. I can't believe that Are You Being Served? is still being shown.

Do you get Blackadder in the states? It's [censored] hilarious, I'm sure the humour would cross the atlantic despite the historic English settings. Ignore season 1 tho.
Old 11-16-2005, 10:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I think my favorite episode was the one from the first season where they completed deviated from the formula. He had to teach some diagnostics class and he was working through 3 different stories that provided some nice back story on his life.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I completely agree also. House is by far my favorite current television series, and this was probably the best episode ever. It is also, if I may be daring enough to say so, one of the best hours ever on TV of my time.