Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2005, 09:07 PM

Default Re: Something I\'ve been adding to my game, and its been working....

5/10.
Old 11-20-2005, 09:16 PM

Against the right guys, this is hugely profitable. I have a couple guys on my "special buddy list" who will C/R the turn with air, but still call a three-bet and a river bet. This time of the year I need to start preparing my holiday cards for these guys.

Against the vast majority of players, I think you need to be doing this with some frequency (and not only with big hands), for the very benefits you're finding.
Old 11-20-2005, 09:16 PM

I'm not sure I see the advantage of 3-betting. If we 3-bet a bluff attempt, won't the player usually fold? If we call-down, don't we get an extra bet? And shouldn't flat calling discourage someone from bluffing just as often?
Old 11-20-2005, 09:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure I see the advantage of 3-betting. If we 3-bet a bluff attempt, won't the player usually fold? If we call-down, don't we get an extra bet? And shouldn't flat calling discourage someone from bluffing just as often?

[/ QUOTE ]

Remember, bad player, meaning he'll probably call down anyway. Good players it becomes different.
Old 11-20-2005, 09:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Remember, bad player, meaning he'll probably call down anyway. Good players it becomes different.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why is he caling a 3-bet? Is it because he suspects the 3-bet is a bluff? More likely, he's calling the 3-bet because he actually believes his hand was good enough to c/r, meaning it really wasn't a bluff in the first place.

And if he's bad enough to call a 3-bet with a real mediocre hand, then I doubt there is a valid meta-game consideration here, as plainly this player is so bad that it won't make a difference.
Old 11-20-2005, 09:28 PM

In OP's example the opponent has odds to call the turn 3-bet if he has K8 for example.
Old 11-20-2005, 09:31 PM

Pardon an obvious question, but you're three-betting and value-betting the river right? you're not just three-betting to take a free showdown here?
Old 11-20-2005, 09:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In OP's example the opponent has odds to call the turn 3-bet if he has K8 for example.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, so he'll call the 3-bet if he's consciously aware of his outs (which he probably isn't, since OP says he's bad), but then when he misses on the river, won't he just fold there?
Old 11-20-2005, 09:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, so he'll call the 3-bet if he's consciously aware of his outs (which he probably isn't, since OP says he's bad), but then when he misses on the river, won't he just fold there?

[/ QUOTE ]

He will not fold if he has something like KJ, QJ or any Jx. This is when the 3-bet becomes profitable.
Old 11-20-2005, 09:46 PM

Just to make sure...if he caps the turn, you're done with the hand, right? And if he bets into you on the river (after you 3-bet the turn), you're still calling, right?

I don't like folding to a turn cap, but I would. And I like seeing if the river improves my hand (maybe I'll make a better 2-pair).