Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2005, 11:02 PM

Default Re: Meditations on getting a Vespa

Well, the ridiculous maintenance intervals coupled with the price of getting the service done. The fact that Ducati never wins shootouts based on MY priorities in a bike: handling, comfort, power delivery. And lastly, the snooty attitude of Ducati owners.
Old 11-11-2005, 11:34 PM

a Vespa in America??

Liberace gay.
Old 11-11-2005, 11:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
it will go faster than any car you've ever driven.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah... that is definitely NOT what i'm looking for. i just think it looks cool
Old 11-12-2005, 12:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]

1) safety - I have lots of metal in my left elbow from a skiing accident, 4 screws holding me together. Perhaps riding a scooter isn't the smartest?

[/ QUOTE ]
Wouldn't worry about the elbow, as long as you have a good range of motion.
[ QUOTE ]

2) comfort - Will it be too cold in NYC to even consider riding 9 months out of the year?

[/ QUOTE ]
I ride my motorcycle until temperatures get down to about... 45 farenheit, and most consider that lunacy. It's goddamned cold riding a motorcycle in the winter, and riding with snow on the ground is more or less suicidal. More than anything this depends on you. But know that when you ride in the rain for any length of time, your balls will inevitably get soaked, and that my friend is a special kind of misery.
[ QUOTE ]

3) clothing - what kind of clothing should I get to stay warm, while avoiding looking like a complete tool?

[/ QUOTE ]
You can either be safe, or look good. Generally those are your two choices when it comes to motorcycling gear. Either buy good gear that you look like a power ranger in (sportbike stuff like I wear), or don't be safe.
[ QUOTE ]

4) security - is there a theft problem? Where do I leave my bike when I am not riding it? How much is motorcycle parking usually in NYC parking lots?

[/ QUOTE ]
Motorcycles are easy to steal, Vespas even easier. So, I hope your downtown apt is going to have underground/gated parking. You can get some decent locks/alarms but the bottom line remains, if someone wants to steal it, they will.
[ QUOTE ]

5) Old or new - The classic bikes look the best, but maintenance is a bitch . The newer styled bikes are much friendlier and faster, but they are all automatic (I'm used to driving a stick, so I assume a clutch will be a no-brainer for me).

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't think you'll have any problems with the clutch, a motor that small will have a really light clutch feel, your arm shouldn't even get sore (unless you are actually limp-wristed? I had to take one shot. :P). It's a lot like "old car vs. new car?", can you wrench on anything yourself? Alternatively, can you afford to have someone else wrench on it? You'll have to weigh what the authenticity of an old one is worth to you in terms of dollars and cents.
[ QUOTE ]

6) training - how do I learn to ride this thing? Should I get my motorcycle license before or after I get the scooter?

[/ QUOTE ]
You can take an MSF (Motorcycle Safety Foundation) course pretty well anywhere. If you get an automatic scooter there's a very good chance you won't even need a motorcycle license but check with DMV in your area as this varies state-to-state.
[ QUOTE ]

7) timing - I am moving to NYC in January I think. Should I get the bike now ($0 down, no interest for 365 days - program ends at start of December) or later (no need to change insurance/registration)

[/ QUOTE ]
How much of a pain in the ass is it to change insurance/reg, and how much are you going to ride between now and say, March (my guess is none, fwiw)?

Oh, if you are so inclined most major brands/models have forums dedicated to them so if you want to look into Vespa's a little more I'm sure there is a similar resource to 2+2 for Vespa's.
Old 11-12-2005, 12:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
3) clothing - what kind of clothing should I get to stay warm, while avoiding looking like a complete tool?

[/ QUOTE ]
You can either be safe, or look good. Generally those are your two choices when it comes to motorcycling gear. Either buy good gear that you look like a power ranger in (sportbike stuff like I wear), or don't be safe.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd like to point people towards my earlier post in this thread detailing how a friend of mine was RUN THE [censored] OVER. He was wearing full armor, and ended up with a scraped wrist. I've hurt myself worse walking into stuff.

The power ranger route is a good one.
Old 11-12-2005, 01:39 AM

I'm sorry, but no chick is ever gonna want to bone you after seeing you ride a scooter. Be a man: get a Harley or stick with a car.
Old 11-12-2005, 03:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm sorry, but no chick is ever gonna want to bone you after seeing you ride a scooter. Be a man: get a Harley or stick with a car.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I have no problem in this department, the general rules don't apply for me (thanks for that Max Power). I took a poll tonight with the women hanging out at the Merc Bar, and most every one had something positive to say. I also asked the players in my live 10/20 game tonight (mostly hagged NYC old timers) and everyone oohed and ahhed when I showed them photos of the bike. Perhaps no chick would ever want to bone Dom if he rode a scooter [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I had two cousins die on Harleys, and I watched my father shatter his left leg riding one when I was 4. I think I'll pass on a motorcycle, besides I live in NYC, I doubt I'll ever go faster than 40mph. I am only considering this for going short distances and running errands for the most part, not for going the distance.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 11-12-2005, 04:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I have no problem in this department, the general rules don't apply for me (thanks for that Max Power). I took a poll tonight with the women hanging out at the Merc Bar, and most every one had something positive to say. I also asked the players in my live 10/20 game tonight (mostly hagged NYC old timers) and everyone oohed and ahhed when I showed them photos of the bike. Perhaps no chick would ever want to bone Dom if he rode a scooter [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I had two cousins die on Harleys, and I watched my father shatter his left leg riding one when I was 4. I think I'll pass on a motorcycle, besides I live in NYC, I doubt I'll ever go faster than 40mph. I am only considering this for going short distances and running errands for the most part, not for going the distance.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm only giving ya chit. I think Vespas are cool.

[img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 11-12-2005, 05:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, the ridiculous maintenance intervals coupled with the price of getting the service done. The fact that Ducati never wins shootouts based on MY priorities in a bike: handling, comfort, power delivery. And lastly, the snooty attitude of Ducati owners.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am with the badguy on this one. IMO Ducati has become the ultimate poser bike, think Tom Cruise.

As for the sv650 reccommendation from Something Clever. That is what i ride and its more than enough. It also sounds very good and has a nice roar most sportbikes dont have because its a v-twin. Throw on a nice can and it sounds amazing.

rJ
Old 11-12-2005, 05:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This one is pretty good. It reminds me of that jude law movie, "Alfie".