Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2005, 01:37 PM

Default Schoonmaker missed this one!

I remember reading in Schoonmaker's book about how the lifestlye of a pro poker player is unhealthy and gave a list of reasons including long, late hours, uncomfortable chairs, smoke filled rooms, etc.

Well....he missed one about being a pro online of which I thought everyone should be made aware.

So, I went to the doctor's today because my left pinky finger and the outside of my ring finger have been numb for 3 days now, and I thought I might have carpal tunnel [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]...seriously, though.

Anyway, turns out the problem is Ulnar Nerve Compression .

Carpal Tunnel will make your thumb, index finder, and middle finger numb. Ulnar nerve compression will make the pinky finger and the outside of the ring finger numb.

So, the doctor asks me "Have you been leaning on your elbow a lot lately"?

Of course I have. I sit at my desk here and lean on my left elbow all day searching for loose tables and robbing fish blind.

So....please, take care of your ulnar nerve if you want to be an online pro.
Old 07-15-2005, 01:53 PM

Default Re: Schoonmaker missed this one!

Hey QTip,

I have this type of problem all the time and often get tendonitus in my wrists. A good way to help prevent this is to get a wireless mouse, a small piece of plywood and make yourself a mousepad that you can put on your lap. You are then resting your elbows in the air and still able to mouse around.

Good Luck.
Old 07-15-2005, 02:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hey QTip,

I have this type of problem all the time and often get tendonitus in my wrists. A good way to help prevent this is to get a wireless mouse, a small piece of plywood and make yourself a mousepad that you can put on your lap. You are then resting your elbows in the air and still able to mouse around.

Good Luck.

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually playing using an xbox controller. The problem is that it's difficult to staying in 8 soft games. I'm constantly opening new tables, searching for tables, etc. I'm just going to have to pay careful attention to not lean on my elbow all the time.
Old 07-15-2005, 04:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hey QTip,

Good Luck.

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually playing using an xbox controller. The problem is that it's difficult to staying in 8 soft games. I'm constantly opening new tables, searching for tables, etc. I'm just going to have to pay careful attention to not lean on my elbow all the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

It took me more than a year of online prodom to get a work environment that didn't cause random numbness or pain in my hands.

Rotating input devices every few weeks was probably the most important change I made.

scrub
Old 07-15-2005, 04:52 PM

Hey QTip,

I just developed the same thing in my left hand. The ulnar nerve is the nerve you injure when you "hit your funny bone."

I plan to get an elbow pad like athletes wear. I wonder if just putting a foam pad on the table and leaning on that would work? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

bill
Old 07-15-2005, 06:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hey QTip,

I just developed the same thing in my left hand. The ulnar nerve is the nerve you injure when you "hit your funny bone."

I plan to get an elbow pad like athletes wear. I wonder if just putting a foam pad on the table and leaning on that would work? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

bill

[/ QUOTE ]

There's something terribly funny about this whole thing! I mean...putting on elbow pads to suit up for an online session! I love it! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 07-16-2005, 01:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hey QTip,

bill

[/ QUOTE ]

There's something terribly funny about this whole thing! I mean...putting on elbow pads to suit up for an online session! I love it! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

No helmet yet, but I'm thinkin' about it!
bc [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 07-16-2005, 01:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Of course I have. I sit at my desk here and lean on my left elbow all day searching for loose tables and robbing fish blind.

[/ QUOTE ]

Easy solution: superglue tacks or broken glass to the top of your table where you would otherwise lean. You won't have that problem anymore.
Old 07-16-2005, 02:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I remember reading in Schoonmaker's book about how the lifestlye of a pro poker player is unhealthy and gave a list of reasons including long, late hours, uncomfortable chairs, smoke filled rooms, etc.

Well....he missed one about being a pro online of which I thought everyone should be made aware.

So, I went to the doctor's today because my left pinky finger and the outside of my ring finger have been numb for 3 days now, and I thought I might have carpal tunnel [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]...seriously, though.

Anyway, turns out the problem is Ulnar Nerve Compression .

Carpal Tunnel will make your thumb, index finder, and middle finger numb. Ulnar nerve compression will make the pinky finger and the outside of the ring finger numb.

So....please, take care of your ulnar nerve if you want to be an online pro.

[/ QUOTE ]

The knuckles in my left hand (I'm lefty and use the mouse with that hand) get all [censored] up and pained in the months were I play 12K+ hands. Lately, I've been playing less, and the pain is gone, but man is that annoying. Long-term consequences? I sure as [censored] hope not.