Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-12-2005, 02:31 PM

Default Re: 3 part preflop quiz

[ QUOTE ]
Here's the situation (9-handed):

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with two cards.
UTG calls, Hero calls, MP1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Button calls, SB folds, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, UTG calls, Hero ?

Assume opponents with reasonable raising and 3-betting standards. Original raiser will only cap with AA, KK and AKs. What do you do if you hold:

a) QJs?
b) A5s?
c) 55?

[/ QUOTE ]

fold most of the time
fold always
call always
Old 05-12-2005, 02:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If our opponents have reasonable standards and the game's this aggressive why are we playing A5s and 55 from EP to begin with?

[/ QUOTE ]

Two people happened to pick up big hands. It happens every once in a while, even at passive games.

I have no clue why anyone would fold either of these hands preflop.

Before really digesting other's opinions, I fold QJs and A5s, and I call with 55. My reasoning is that with the 55 hand my hand is usually very defined on the flop and I don't care if it gets capped behind me preflop. With the other two hands, I don't want any more bets going in preflop, and I may partially connect with the flop and put more bets in to find out where I am. I'll end up with a lot more second best hands with A5s or QJs than I will with 55.
Old 05-12-2005, 02:36 PM

All of them are easy calls with these pot odds. You need to be carefull not to be trapped with A5s if an ace flops
Old 05-12-2005, 02:37 PM

B is a fold, and C is a call for me, but I have a (possibly stupid) question regarding QJs.

I know there's the possibility of flopping a monster draw, and the pot looks like its going multiway, but on all streets we'll be stuck between BB and MP2, which could make any draws very expensive. Does our reletive position here, and the fact that the BB three bet out of a blind rather than from late poosition, influence whether this hand is a call or not?
Old 05-12-2005, 02:39 PM

A5s sucks up front in aggressive games. Axs is good in loose passive microlimit games, but it's one of the more overrated hands in holdem, IMO
Old 05-12-2005, 02:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I know there's the possibility of flopping a monster draw, and the pot looks like its going multiway, but on all streets we'll be stuck between BB and MP2, which could make any draws very expensive. Does our reletive position here, and the fact that the BB three bet out of a blind rather than from late poosition, influence whether this hand is a call or not?

[/ QUOTE ]

outstanding analysis. yes it does
Old 05-12-2005, 02:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's actually a good point on the relative position.
As for the 3-bettor, I don't think we care that much about his position and how strong his hand is likely to be. We're probably dominated by fewer typical 3-betting hands than we are raising hands anyway; and QJs is basically a drawing hand regardless.
Old 05-12-2005, 02:58 PM

call
fold
call

i can't really see this being all that debateable (a5s is extremely lacklustre for 2-3 more back to you - while 55 and qjs have great implied odds in this situation)
Old 05-12-2005, 02:59 PM

I'm new to all this, but isn't a 3-bet a "raise"? Why would you say:

[ QUOTE ]
We're probably dominated by fewer typical 3-betting hands than we are raising hands anyway

[/ QUOTE ]

I definitely agree with the relative position not being good. Say we flop a decent board for our QJs, BB bets - we are on nothing except draws to potential straights/flush, we call or raise, MP raises or 3-bets, BB 3-bets or caps: faced with 2 back to us. We call? We fold? Turn is blank for us, but...
This relative position is a great point I think.
Old 05-12-2005, 03:00 PM

I said fold 55 in the first place, and A5s too. Of course if your'e already in your stuck.